cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Line Saver not really saving

andwar

New Line Saver not really saving

I was going to renew my Line Saver with Plusnet but paying out a whopping £185 to save £18 over the course of a year doesn't seem worth it anymore.
The Post Office are offering it at £144 per annum giving a saving of  £41 over Plusnets which equats to £12 a month instead of £15.41.
I know that Plusnet are part of BT but come on guys, your broadband service is excellent and probably the best in the UK.
So please get competitive with your phone services considering that we have to have a fixed line no matter what.
9 REPLIES 9
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New Line Saver not really saving

Plusnet, just like BT, Talk-Talk and others, need to charge high line rental in order to be able to offer free or very cheap broadband and cashback, vouchers etc. to new customers.
I'd prefer to see realistic charging for broadband and fair line rental instead of one product apparently subsidising the other but this comes down to how they advertise to get new business IMO.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
andwar

I think I read last week that the 'Last Mile' rental, that is from the exchange to your house, has increased more than 40% over the past three years.
It is amazing that no-one has noticed this considering the monpoly that BT have and we cannot go anywhere else. I remember paying about £11.50 per month and now it is closer to £16. Why cannot we have a two tier system, one where we can either not pay the £16.99 a month and only pay when there is something wrong. OK, that might mean a higher cost. It is just like Homeserve for your heating system, I worked out it is cheaper to pay a professional heating techinican when required than the monthly fee.
My only other option is to go with Virgin and then have their cable service but I will have to get all the other rubbish with it which I don't want.
I looked at Relish (Broadband without Line Rental) and they seem pretty good with an upto 50mb connection, unfortunatly they are not in my area at the moment.
Hyperoptic are another company offering super broadband speeds yet again not in my area of London.
All I need is a good fibre connection for broadband, I do not use the landline for calls anymore. Therefore the sooner Fibre to the premises arrives in London the better.
So come on Plusnet make yourselves the leader in this and give your customers a fair price for their line rental.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Found it eventually, the graph of retail line rental prices with the wholesale line rental prices:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6772-openreach-line-rental-charges-continue-to-diverge-from-retai...
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: andwar
I was going to renew my Line Saver with Plusnet but paying out a whopping £185 to save £18 over the course of a year doesn't seem worth it anymore......

Not worth it anymore! Just think what rate of interest you would need to earn £18 over a year on £185!
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
nadger
Rising Star

Agreed the saving is small but still worthwhile if one has the money in bank earning virtually no interest.
sjptd
Grafter

It's worth it for PlusNet because it is an extra lock-in that makes changing ISP more difficult
Apprentice
Grafter

If you move your LR away from Plusnet  your broadband package will increase in price by whatever the current 2016 increase is, used to be an extra £2.50 a month at one time.
An alternative and of course there are other suppliers:-
https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/line-packages
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regarding that suggestion there are two points
Because of their very low call charges junking Anytime Calls can also save a chunk
There is a risk - if you are on ADSL - that you may lose your broadband as they often/always use LLU for the phone line. This doesn't seem to be a problem if you are on fibre
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Just had an offer to renew my Line Saver Rental (Annual) from BT; year on year an increase of 15%;
no doubt helping to fund BT Sport; no thanks Angry