cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to notify BT on switch?

live01

Need to notify BT on switch?

Since I've put an end to my 12 month 'renewable' BT contract (just the contract, not the landline), I'm considering switching to Plusnet Home Phone. Quick question: I'm wondering if I need to contact BT first to let them know of this change, or does Plusnet notify them when I register? Obviously I want my BT bills to completely stop if I make the switch.
Thanks for responding.
7 REPLIES 7
coastergrotto
Grafter

Re: Need to notify BT on switch?

You will still need to notify BT yourself. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No you don't. Worth double checking you are no longer on a contract with BT though.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I didn't need to tell BT to move my phone service to Plusnet. I did have to chase them afterwards to get a refund of my advanced payment of line rental as it was left as a credit to a future bill that would never arise. Having received that refund each month for the past year they have continued to bill me for £0.00. I have just pointed out to them that perhaps this is not sensible!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That's a bit unlucky Alan, the trick is to move just at the start of your new quarter, so you don't pay them the bill they just posted and they then send an amended bill where you owe them a small amount!
James
Grafter

@live01
Whilst you don't specifically need to notify that you are leaving BT as they should get notification of this themselves, it can never hurt to let them know once your migration has completed to ensure that they are aware they shouldn't be billing you anymore.
techguy
Grafter

And will PN get notified when my line is switched?
James
Grafter

We should get a notification from OpenReach, yes.