cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to keep my BT Phone Number

Janetdivison54

Need to keep my BT Phone Number

Hi Guys

We recently signed upto Plusnet from BT and really need to keep our BT number. Can someone please let me know what we need to do!

Thank You

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Need to keep my BT Phone Number

@Janetdivison54 You should have stressed this at the time you signed up. How long ago did you switch, and have you been given a 'new' number?

Welcome to the forums, BTW.

John
LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Plusnet is an off shoot of BT here is what they state

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/faqs/broadband-and-phone/#keep-number

I would confirm with them however, but it is unlikely that they would change your number as you already have a BT one.

jab1
Legend

@LifeonMars They used to do that with no problem - even when i switched from Tiscali/TalkTalk nine years ago, I retained my number without even asking, but there have been a number of instances recently with people transferring from even BT Broadband to Plusnet where they suddenly find themselves being given a 'new' number, which is actually in contravention of OFCOM guidelines.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Janetdivison54 

If you tell us your landline number at the start of the signup journey through plus.net as pictured below, we'll automatically retain it while transferring your service, or if we're unable to for any reason then someone should be in touch to discuss. In the vast majority of cases, we can in fact retain a number if we're manually placing the order.

There are always some exceptions where we can't retain a number, for example that number exists digitally (ISDN/VOIP) or you're moving house to an area provided by a different exchange.

Unfortunately from what I can see when you signed up online we weren't aware of your current landline number. If you can drop me a PM to confirm what it is I'll be happy to see what I can do to get it back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Thanks for that elucidation, @Gandalf . I can't remember what my sign-up journey was like - nine years is a long time, and my brain-cell is shrinking rapidly. 😁

John
Janetdivison54

Hi Jab

The switch is only just going through, we have had a letter saying this is our new number and we have just received the router too.

jab1
Legend

@Janetdivison54 In that case, see @Gandalf 's post above.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Janetdivison54 

I've placed the renumber order now and you should have your number back tomorrow.

Let me know if there are any issues. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpinDryer
Grafter

@jab1 wrote:

@LifeonMars They used to do that with no problem - even when i switched from Tiscali/TalkTalk nine years ago, I retained my number without even asking, but there have been a number of instances recently with people transferring from even BT Broadband to Plusnet where they suddenly find themselves being given a 'new' number, which is actually in contravention of OFCOM guidelines.

I've seen the lastest post in this thread, but I can't recall if there are issues moving through ISPs due to the original number being handed back to the nominal host of that number range. I.E is there a problem porting from BT, then to TalkTalk, then to Sky etc - it was that 2nd hop that may have been a problem for porting.

I believe that used to be the case, but not sure if this has changed in the past few years.

Maybe someone can confirm.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SpinDryer When importing a landline number, the number port request goes to the current provider of the number and also to the rangeholder, the latter being the originating network where the number was first made on. Rangeholders are generally BT, Sky, TalkTalk, Virgin Media, Gamma although there could be more. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpinDryer
Grafter

Thanks.

I'm not sure if that is a change from years ago - or it was always like that. Either way, that's how it should be done of course - so the original telephone company can put in the porting to the new network.

It sort of means work for the original company that effectively may not really concern them after the original porting Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As far as I remember it’s been like that since 2014 (when I started working here).

The rangeholder (RH) wouldn’t put in the port, the new provider would place it and the rangeholder and current provider would accept. Sometimes the rangeholder and current provider can be the same as many of those rangeholders are also providers.

The rangeholder always own their numbers even if they’re provided by another provider or another rangeholder (acting as a provider). For example if a Sky number is provided by Plusnet, then that number is ceased it’ll go back to Sky in an available state after 14 days.

Generally in this example only Sky would then be able to make that number live again, unless the last provider who had the number raises a ceased in error request to return the number to them and make it working. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet