Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to be concerned...?

vimesuk
Grafter

Need to be concerned...?

Hello
On Monday of this week I signed up for a Unlimited Fibre connection (due to go live on Monday of next week) and for a phone line.
Currently I am with BT for my phone and not under any fixed contract, as that ended last year. Both the person that I arranged my package with and another person with support of PlusNet informed me that I do not need to talk with either my ISP supplier (BE) as the MAC code will take care of that or BT as they (PlusNet) will put the appropriate requests in to my suppliers.
Although I did talk with BE (to sort out my router return) and they were fine are PlusNet correct that BT will not penalise me for not giving them any notice or do PlusNet really take care, as I have been told at least twice, of this....?
Thanks for any advice.
(username vimesuk)
10 REPLIES 10
markm9
Grafter

Re: Need to be concerned...?

Hi vimesuk, you do not need to do anything as PN will take care of everything, BT shouldnt penalise you, so long as you are out of contract with them, welcome to PN
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: vimesuk
Although I did talk with BE (to sort out my router return) and they were fine

You should still talk to Be once it's all sorted and definite to confirm contract termination, the MAC process does not know what your contract terms are, and at best (if it works) will only notify Be that you've gone afterwards.
Personally, given the horror stories I've read about BT engineers not turning up for Fibre installs, or "issues" found, I'd "bite the bullet" and not cancel at Be until Fibre was working. You might have to pay double fees for a month but it's probably worth it for the risk reduction.  Cool
Quote from: markm9
PN will take care of everything

Don't believe it. There's a recent thread here somewhere where a member of PN staff admitted that their web site wording on that was not really accurate; they basically just use the MAC process and "hope" it works out OK trusting to BT and the leaving supplier to behave properly.  Crazy
In fact I think the web site wording is "under review".  Lips_are_sealed
vimesuk
Grafter

It would be nice to believe that PN will indeed sort everything out but I assume for my phone that I could not actually give BT notice (?) as PN have said that the phone line would be migrated over "about" a week or two after the broadband and thus not at a definite date..?

You make a valid point about keeping the BE connection going as a standby and something that I might need to consider, albeit they have confirmed by email that my account ends on Monday - maybe I'm hoping too much that it will all work out.?! From a broadband perspective I am just as concerned that the BT people will turn up and I'll be disconnected from BE and not "quite" connected to PN and left in Limbo.! Still I might need to just think positive about this.!
It is the seeming lack of ability to give BT notice that is concerning me.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just as Be will receive notification that their asset (the broadband service) is being transferred away, so will BT once the order for the phone is placed. Whether or not any notification is received doesn't change the fact that the asset changes hands, and the date that happens (the order completion date) will still be noted on the order.
Even if there are difficulties we'll be able to provide proof of order completion should it be required.
Hope that reassures you.
vimesuk
Grafter

It does indeed reassure me, thanks for that.
I will just sit back and let it happen Smiley
fameboi

lets hope your service works once its installed. good luck. the time frame to get any issues resolved is appalling really. but hey what can you do pay the bill and not have a service. whoppeee
vimesuk
Grafter

I agree - with the hoping that it will work. Once you have done all that you can then all that is left is just to st back and hope that it works out. After talking with both BE and PlusNet I'm happy  that I have done more than my bit.
For me this has been a difficult one as the need and desire to change has come from Sky buying out BE, otherwise I would not have wanted to move. The same applied when Sky bought out UK Online - I then moved to BE.
Roll on Monday, I think.!    
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, hoping that all has gone well with the fibre install? Looks like it has from our side as the order is now complete. We'll get the phone order progressed shortly.
vimesuk
Grafter

Thanks for that Smiley
It has all gone well.
I have been most pleased that I was kept informed throughout the whole process by both SMS and email. Also Openreach were able to complete the work in a timely manner and did not find any issues when changing the line over at the cabinet.
I am very impressed so far and looking forward to the phone being transferred, hopefully that would not need to disturb my broadband connection...?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It certainly shouldn't do, it's pretty much back end changes only (and most of them to records rather than the line itself).