cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new phone line installed

LordReith

Need a new phone line installed

Hi, new customer to Plusnet in a new house and I've realised we have just one phone socket in the lobby, and the nearest electrical point is in a separate room.  Embarrassed Just wondering if Plusnet can install new, or move existing, phone sockets or is this something best done by a local handyman?
Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
LordReith

Re: Need a new phone line installed

Sorry, that should read "Need a new phone socket installed"...
essenby
Grafter

You could run a power extension to the phone socket?  Alternatively - if it is an NTE5 Master socket with separate phone and ADSL connections you can leave the phone by the master and run a data extension cable to your router?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

We can arrange for an internal shift, which also qualifies as the installation of a new socket for £160.
It's not cheap, and we don't make any money off it. So I'd always suggest seeing whether anyone local could do it for you. Alternatively, essenby's suggestions are pretty good.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
LordReith

Thanks Essenby and MattyC. Unfortunately I am completely inept when it comes to DIY but I looked up NTE5 Master socket images and this is a close approximation:-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nte5+bt+master+socket&biw=1106&bih=883&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&e...
Unfortunately I am at work so this is from memory. But it definitely only has one connection.
To explain further - there is a small lobby between our front room and the front door, separated by an internal door. It's in that lobby that the phone socket is situated - there are no electric plug sockets in the lobby. I have plugged the "splitter" that came with my router into that socket, and have the wire running under the door into the front room to connect to the router.
It doesn't help that the phone socket is very loose. So as that needs sorting anyway, and I don't want wires running between the rooms (or the door to the draughty lobby left open) I thought the best bet would be to get a new socket fitted. So I will take MattyC's suggestion of trying to see if I can source the work locally.    
Thanks again
essenby
Grafter

Given that explanation then moving, and replacing, the Master socket does seem to be the best option.  It will still required wires running under/around the door, or through the wall though.
As you will be getting a new master socket one of THESE would be a good bet as it does away with the extra connection of the "wobbly" splitter.  Google for "master phone socket with adsl" to find a range of these
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@LordReith I may be reading more into your brief information than justified but....
Is the house new or just new to you? If you have a new house then you have recently had a phone line installed and it is not correct. Get whoever did it back to do it properly!
Alternatively any chance of getting fibre when they install a new socket in a new position FOC Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
LordReith

Quote from: essenby
Given that explanation then moving, and replacing, the Master socket does seem to be the best option.  It will still required wires running under/around the door, or through the wall though.
As you will be getting a new master socket one of THESE would be a good bet as it does away with the extra connection of the "wobbly" splitter.  Google for "master phone socket with adsl" to find a range of these

Yes, agreed. We still need wires, but at least they can be more of an integrated solution. Will check those suggestions out, thanks.
@PeterLoftus - my mistake - the house in new to us. It's actually over 20 years old.