cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone does not ring

zedingrove
Grafter

My phone does not ring

Since changing over from BT to PN I have not had a single telemarketer from India or anywhere...
Nor have I had any from no one......  Cry
20 REPLIES 20
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: My phone does not ring

Have you tried ringing your line from a mobile to see if it is working
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Does '17070' report the correct number?
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just tried giving you a call just to check that the line is working as intended. No one answered, I'm assuming all is OK but do try calling from a mobile as that's the best way to make sure you can receive inbound calls.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is the telephone plugged into the socket?
[coat]
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: 4C
Does '17070' report the correct number?

Fair point - BT recently "changed" my number by "mistake" - I didn't get any calls for 3 days either! Smiley Only found out when my daughter messaged us thru Facebook - and 17070 gave us a different number. Got my old number back ....then the marketing calls etc started again  Cry
zedingrove
Grafter

Have tried calling from my mobile does not ring, yet does connect. Whilst calling from mobile picked up phone and ......
Thing is it rang with BT but not with PN
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you raised a phone fault
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@ZedinGrove
I just ran a test against your line and that didn't show any faults. I'd advise trying a different handset if you can get your hands on one and logging a fault here if that's still not resolved:
http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
zedingrove
Grafter

OK... This does not make any sense at all, my phone is connected to an extension cable, everything works fine except it does not ring (ring, ring... ring, ring). taken it off the extension cable and phone rings, if there was something wrong with the cable then the phone would not work at all. Have had this cable in use for 10+ years and as soon as had switch over to PN no longer rings.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Coincidences do happen (in fact - wouldn't it be weird if they never did?).
The fact is, though, that switching from paying line rental to BT to paying PN does not physically alter anything. So, a duff cable it must be.
Quote from: ZedinGrove
... if there was something wrong with the cable then the phone would not work at all.

It's quite possible for the speech pair to be OK but the ring wire to be faulty.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I'd have to agree with 4C on this. It sounds as though your extension cable may not be of a required standard for your telephone anymore.
itsme
Grafter

Speech is carried on wires 2 and 5 and the ringing on 3. If you use a filter at the same end of the extension cable as the phone then the phone should ring as the filter has a ringing circuit
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@itsme
Actually, the ring is carried by a 12v signal across 2 and 5, 3 is unnecessary. Poor 2 and 5 wiring may cause lower volume speech and a degradation in the 12v signal so it doesn't trip the ring on your phone? You may not notice the lower volume in this scenario.
Source: I rewired my own house and strung 2 and 5 across 4 floors. All phones ring just fine Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Ben, but the ringing tone is on  2 and 5 because surprised surprised you have only 2 wire coming into the house. But after that the rest of your comments I disagree with. BT ringing voltage is approximately 80Vac and as the specification is a maximum of 4 REN I assume that this have not changed over the years as there are still many old phones out in the community. So not sure where you got the 12v from.
pin 3 is only unnecessary if you have broadband and use a filter on each phone, as the filter has the ring circuit. Or some phones also have the ring circuit but not all. If I stop having broadband I will have to reconnect pin 3 on my extensions as I have phones that will not ring unless going through a filter.