Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My house line makes calls without me

kenno1989
Hooked

My house line makes calls without me

Hello All,

I am so hopeful that someone would have some idea what is going on!

My house phone every day gets from 20-40 missed calls from normal people saying my phone has dialed them. (When I say normal i'm not talking buinesses, just other peoples normal house numbers).

Of course it isn't me doing this, I've not phoned anyone but they seem to be getting missed calls from myself.

I have a list as long as my arm of phone numbers my land line seems to have phoned (even though there is no record from my side and plus net can't see me making any calls).

This is getting a bit impossible to manage and of course some people can be quite aggressive on the phone when they ring you back only to tell them you know nothing about it!

I have contacted plusnet who don't really seem to have any idea what is going on, I have activated call protect (if I hear about it one more time I might cry) but it would be a full time job to keep adding numbers to it everytime someone phones.

Does anyone have any idea what could of happened? Do you think its a line problem? Crossed wires? Filters on my house wrong?

I've been with plusnet for years without any other problem till this started in may!

I'll be internally grateful for any help!

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: My house line makes calls without me

Welcome to the forums.  My first thought was a crossed line, but I'd have thought you would have been charged for the outgoing calls if it was (as the accounting systems would attribute them to your number for billing as well).  It might be worth checking next time what number the caller thinks they have called.  I'm wondering if it is somehow crossed so that you are receiving someone elses calls (ie a different number is also being connected to you somehow).

My only other though is that someone is spoofing your number on their outgoing calls.  If so, I'm not sure if there would be a way for you to get around that.  This isn't something I've come across before.  It would be interesting to hear if anyone else had?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi kenno1989 

Really sorry to hear that you are having this issue. 

I've run a Crossed Line test on your phone line, which has come back clear with no issues. 

I have also checked the Raw Call Data and can see no record of these outgoing calls whatsoever. This Raw data comes directly from the supplier before it gets fed into our systems. 

Can I please ask you to unplug the handset from the socket for 24-48 hours, and then plug it back in to see if you have received any VMs/missed calls in that time? 

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks 

kenno1989
Hooked

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly, I have asked a couple (when I can be bothered to answer) and they just say they have done 1471 and returned the call so it is coming from "my" number.

I thought spoofing could only be done on mobiles? If I was to change my number (a shame it is over 30 years old) do you think this would stop the issue?

Also, someone mentioned my filters but I persume this is only for the internet?

Thanks again,

kenno1989
Hooked

Hello!

Yes it is a strange one, its hard to explain because everyone I talk to thinks its telemarketing or things like that, but i'm 99% sure these are just normal people like you and me getting missed calls.

Unplugging, i'll be honest I have not thought of that! I'll give that a go for 48 hours and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

My thought about the number spoofing was that someone had spoofed your number for outgoing calls for telemarketing and what you are seeing is the people who have missed those calls ringing the number back which is connecting to you.  I think (though I'm no expert and not tried this myself), that it is fairly easy to spoof any number if you have the right equipment.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@kenno1989  Well, this is an interesting one.

Can you try dialling 17070, and see if the system reads out your correct number?

If you have a mobile, please dial your landline number and check it rings.

Then call your mobile from the landline and check that the correct number is displayed.

If everything checks out OK, I can think of no better explanation than @pjmarsh's.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Was any conclusion reached here?

kenno1989
Hooked

I've been away on holiday for 10 days, and have followed the advice above and unplugged my phone. Just put it back in and fingers crossed or i'm just going to have to resign myself to no longer being able to have a house phone.....

kenno1989
Hooked

I've tried that and yes everything looks ok, when I phone myself (i'm not sad honest!) everything displays fine.

Very depressing, having a house phone was very handy!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Not having a house phone is not going to fix this issue.
I trust that there is no indication (phone bill) of any calls having been made from your phone line?
If someone is spoofing your landline number, may be the only solution here is to request that a new number be assigned t your line … but no number is entirely "new".

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @kenno1989

Thanks for coming back to us and hope that the holiday went well.

Let us know how you get on with this - as @Townman has suggested, we can renumber you but there is a chance that any reallocated number from the BT pool may have previously been allocated to another user, so calls seeking the previous 'owner' of that number may still occur (albeit at a much lower rate than you're reporting here).

Keep us updated!

Best wishes,

Dave

kenno1989
Hooked

Hello All!

It has been a week since I turned my phone off and unplugged for about 9 days and thankfully fingers crossed i've not had any of these phantom phone calls complaints !

Maybe they have jumped off my line seeing that no one could get an answer while I was disconected...

Thank,

Robert

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm glad to see that's no longer an issue, do give us a shout if you have anu further problems with that. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team