cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My caller display has stopped working, any advice please?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: My caller display has stopped working, any advice please?

Can you respond to the ticket on your account?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

Thanks Matthew,
I have just replied.
kmw350
Rising Star

Matthew,
just a further update in case it helps (still no caller ID here)
I took my phone to a neighbour and confirmed that it works fine, displays caller ID when plugged into their phone line.
Back here at home, the same phone plugged into my test socket, no caller ID.
So my phone is not the problem.
But as per your ticket entry, I am happy for an engineer to visit again, if you can confirm the date when you have it,
Thanks
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm getting that booked for you as we speak.
It's a bit of a long process but I will update you as soon as I can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
jimbo121
Dabbler

Hi kmw, maybe they are saving your reconnection for your Christmas present, can not believe you are still waiting, here's hoping
spangles10

My phone was switched yesterday but my caller display isn't working. I've tried dialling the numbers mentioned in this thread *#234# and *234# and both times get told "sorry the service requested is not available". Also, I'm still waiting for my broadband switch which was also meant to be yesterday.  Sad
kmw350
Rising Star

Hi Matthew / PlusNet,
Still no caller ID here.
The engineer did a thorough test last week, and replaced my main socket - he is certain that the BT line is working fine. He says the fault must be at PlusNet's end. The engineer carried out a 'butt' test of some kind at my house, and believes the Caller ID signal is not being sent correctly, but suggested you get this checked at the exchange end too.
He also suggested that remote resetting will not work, and that you should try physically switching me to a different port at the exchange. I am stating this from memory, not as an expert, so I hope it makes sense to someone. He tried to phone you from my house, but had to give up after waiting 45minutes.
Please can you try what has been suggested here by the engineer. i.e. request a physical check of my line at the exchange and if not solved, then switch me to another port.

Quote from an earlier post by a helpful retired BT engineer - 'facility works by sending a voice band data signal from the exchange to the customer, just before the ringing current is applied. With a test telephone on 'high impedance monitor' (a 'butt' in the trade), an engineer would easily identify whether that signal was being sent, or not.'
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Unfortunately we don't have any equipment on our end that controls Caller Display as we just use the same service that BT does.
I've requested the exchange ports be changed before but I'll try it again.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kmw350
Rising Star

Ok, well that seems to be that then.
I am bemused, someone back in August must have changed something for my caller ID to suddenly stop working.
It is beyond me that no one can work out what that change was, and put it right.
I know it is only a small part of the service, but in this day and age, the ability to stop all these unwanted cold callers is an important feature.
I was inundated with them before I started using callerID a few years ago, and I do not want to go back to that.
I'm very disappointed, and it will probably mean moving to another ISP, a #@£% pain to have to do for such a minor thing, but I have enjoyed the peace while caller ID was working, and I want it back.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: kmw350
Ok, well that seems to be that then.
I am bemused, someone back in August must have changed something for my caller ID to suddenly stop working.
It is beyond me that no one can work out what that change was, and put it right.

I'm not sure if this is relevant with todays telephone exchange equipment, but back in the late 90's/early 00's I was having trouble with my Caller Display which was only working intermittently.  After 2-3 engineer visits the solution was to 'turn up the gain' on the line which presumably increased the strength of the Caller Display signal (which I believe is transmitted as an audio signal).  I do recall that telephone calls were slightly louder than before (and therefore easier to hear) and the Caller Display worked pretty much faultlessly afterwards.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I had a problem with caller display recently. It turned out to be a dodgy pair between cab and exchange - the engineer swapped me to a new pair and it burst in to life again. Pulse8 (I use them for line rental) had it sorted in a few days of me reporting the issue.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)