cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My caller display has stopped working, any advice please?

jimbo121
Dabbler

Re: My caller display has stopped working, any advice please?

Kmw, I am still visiting your blog to see how things pan out for you and wish you luck, these BT 8500 phones are brill so far no scammers have got thru it, I have blocked 'International/ with held/ and certain area codes/ and numbers especially 020 as foreign VOIP calls route thru this code, just need to fine tune it and all will be well, good luck in your endeavours, Regards Jim
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi kmw350,
Is your caller display still not working correctly?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: kmw350
When the BT engineer visited, I'm sorry to say that he described caller ID as a bit of a black art, and felt that not much could be done about it.

Oh dear, that doesn't say much for Openreach training.
My gut tells me it is a local exchange problem but what do I know?

My gut says the same!
I would gladly pay you to come out of retirement for a day and go and fix it for me lol

Somehow I don't think I'd get past the exchange door...  Grin
Still, I could at least check on whether the signal is actually appearing on your line. Who knows, maybe you're local to me... PM me if you like.
A little googling suggests that BT can be pretty useless in solving this kind of problem - this BT forum thread makes depressing reading.
On a more positive note this thread contains the following -
Well - the fault is now fixed, thanks to an Openreach engineer who took our two new handsets down to the exchange today, tried them on our line down there and found neither worked.
Bottom line is that the Broadband was interfering with the CLI. Apparently there are two types of Caller Display units - analogue and digital. The cheapies (like those that display a single line of data) are usually analogue but most devices (such as handsets) are digital.
The analogue ones worked OK but the digital ones didn't until some equipment was changed over. He told me that if we didn't have broadband at the house, then the digital handsets would have worked, but when there is broadband the phone signal takes a slightly different route through the exchange equipment and the issue was there.

Something to do with the voice/broadband separation filtering I would guess. Maybe Matthew Wheeler could pursue this line of enquiry with BT?
Meanwhile, I've got a collection of stand-alone analogue display units here - PM me if you'd like me to post one for you to try.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
kmw350
Rising Star

Quote from: Ben
Hi kmw350,
Is your caller display still not working correctly?

Ben,
NO it is still not working, and has not worked at any time since I lost it back in August.
Please please can't someone get this looked into properly? How hard can it be?
Thanks Sad
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi kmw350,
I am currently removing the caller display from your service and I am going to re-add this for you and I am just waiting for this to complete. It should be done by today but I will keep you updated once it has completed for you to test this as it should fix the issue.
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi kmw350,
The removal and re-adding of your caller display is now complete. Can you please check if this is now working please and just keep us updated.
kmw350
Rising Star

Hi Ben,
thank you but no, it is still not working.
(BTW this removal and re-adding was tried at least once before, but it is not solving it).
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi kmw350,
I think then really the only thing left to do is to remove the service entirely all together from your account and line and then re-apply all together as a fresh new service. Would you be happy for me to make these amendments to your account?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

[quote= Force E] Something to do with the voice/broadband separation filtering I would guess. Maybe Matthew Wheeler could pursue this line of enquiry with BT?
That's exactly what Matthew was doing. As the fault technically wasn't on the broadband he's raised a few (3 IIRC) manual faults, I've just responded to the latest one asking them to keep the fault open and reinvestigate.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kmw350
Rising Star

Quote from: Ben
Hi kmw350,
I think then really the only thing left to do is to remove the service entirely all together from your account and line and then re-apply all together as a fresh new service. Would you be happy for me to make these amendments to your account?

I don't understand the difference between what you just tried (removing and re-adding) and what you are proposing - but if you think it might fix it, then yes please. But first, please also confirm that none of my line speed /subscription/terms and conditions are affected by this service removal and restart, and will I notice any break in service?
Also I do not want to lose the Caller ID service altogether - it worked fine for the past 4 years, so I do not see why it should simply stop working. If you can reassure me on those points first please,
Thanks
UncleAlbert

I am watching this thread intently as I have also lost caller ID.  Tried the hash number hash star hash more numbers thingy and the only message I got is "this service is not available"  I'm not sure if Caller ID is not available or the ability to use the star hash code thingy is not available
kmw350
Rising Star

Hi PlusNet,
are you going to answer my post?
You asked me if I wanted the caller service to be cleared from my account and then freshly added, and I asked for some clarification -
I don't understand the difference between what has been tried (removing and re-adding) and what you are proposing (clearing and adding) - but if you think it might fix it, then yes please. But first, please also confirm that none of my line speed /subscription/terms and conditions are affected by this service removal and restart, and will I notice any break in service?
Also I do not want to lose the Caller ID service altogether - it worked fine for the past 4 years, so I do not see why it should simply stop working. If you can reassure me on those points first please, I'd appreciate it.
I also see you have updated the support question but that does not match what is being discussed here so I am confused and would like clarification.
kmw350
Rising Star

Update - no change at this end, still no caller ID Sad
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

@kmw350 if it's any comfort I lost my caller ID a year or more ago and had it reinstated by the method proposed with no loss of service or changes.  Smiley
My ID had worked for years till I screwed it up with the hashtag thingy. The system is somewhat flaky but IMHO it's stand alone and there's a minimal chance of changes to caller ID affecting broadband or telephone services.  Roll_eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
kmw350
Rising Star

Thanks Peter, I'm not sure what is happening at the moment, hopefully Ben or another PN staff will update soon