cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My caller display has stopped working, any advice please?

kmw350
Rising Star

My caller display has stopped working, any advice please?

Hi,
my caller display option has worked fine up to about a week ago.
There was a brief power cut in the local area, and since then, the display has disappeared.
Several neighbours had problems with their phones at the same time.
Is there any way to determine if there is a problem remaining at the exchange as a result of the power cut?
Any help appreciated,
Cheers:)
115 REPLIES 115
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: My caller display has stopped working, any advice please?

It's definitely still showing as active on the line. I can raise a fault on the feature if you like?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
kmw350
Rising Star

Yes please Chris,
thanks for the quick response,
Do you need any other details?
Keith
Chris
Legend

Can you just confirm the following:

The first thing to do is check that the service is enabled on your line. You can do this by dialling *#234# . If there is an announcement to state that the service is disabled, please try enabling it by dialling *234# .
If this doesn't help with the problem, please try plugging the phone directly into the master BT socket in your premises, then unplug all other equipment from the line such as extra phones, broadband router and filters, fax machines etc and see if this makes a difference.
(The reason for this is that Caller Display comes down the line as a signal, and we need to check that nothing in your premises is interfering with this signal).

I've reported the fault in the meantime, but if you could check those steps that'd be great.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Chris
I am not aware of this being shown elsewhere
Would it be a good idea to add this and other similar tests to a sticky at the top of this board
chalbury
Grafter

I have the same problem, I have tried the suggested solutions. I tried to raise a ticket but this seems impossible. Support both online chat and direct call seems so busy nowadays!  Cry
Chris
Legend

@Chalbury
Your Caller Display has been removed yesterday when you contacted us. Do you want it readding?
@Oldjim
Possibly, most of the information should be available at http://www.plus.net/support/phone/troubleshooting.shtml though.
kmw350
Rising Star

OK,
I checked the *#234# and it confirms that caller ids should be displayed.
Same result at the main socket.
I have also tried a second phone and the problem is still there.
(Don't know if it was coincidence or due to your checks, but I have also just had numerous disconnects, hence my delay in replying. But it is connected and stable again now).
chalbury
Grafter

My problem was fixed by Plusnet turning off the service then turning it back on the next day but what a palaver getting through to them. Nowadays they seem to have more customers with problems and not enough staff to deal with them!
Chris
Legend

@kmw350
I'll keep my eye on the fault and update you on Monday when I'm back in the office.
chalbury
Grafter

I wonder if there is some glitch in Plusnet system software which switches off Caller Display randomly. This could be cured by a regular reset to Caller Display for those who are paying for it.
kmw350
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
@kmw350
I'll keep my eye on the fault and update you on Monday when I'm back in the office.

Thank you Chris, in the meantime I am buying  a new phone tomorrow (needed one anyway), which will ensure the power cut didn't damage my old one & break the caller ID in some way.
chalbury
Grafter

The power outage (if accompanied by a power surge) MAY have damaged your phone but I doubt that the surge went back through BT equipment to cause caller display to stop working for you (:o))
kmw350
Rising Star

Quote from: Chris
@kmw350

Chris,
Update - new phone bought, and the situation is the same - the *#234# message tells me that 'caller ID will be displayed' but when I get someone to call me, the caller ID is still not showing up.
Thanks again for looking into this, I hope your team can fix it,
Keith
Chris
Legend

I'm going to simply try removing/readding caller ID. The fault I raised has closed as no issue was found, so before going down the route of sending engineers to investigate this seems like a good step. I'll update you when I've re-added it back to your line.