Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Home Phone

toulouse
Grafter

Moving to Home Phone

Hello all,
I've been with BT since July 2007, and am now in the process of transferring to PlusNet Home Phone. I believe that the work will be done between 20 - 25 March. BT says one thing / PlusNet another. Go figure !!!!
In the post today, I received a letter from BT advising that they will be billing me for £60.75, and no longer providing me with a number of services which I didn't know they were providing to me. Again, go figure !!!
Just wondered if anyone else had received a similar letter from BT on transferring to PlusNet Home Phone. I understood that PlusNet is (partly) owned by BT. Is this just another case of them earning £90 per second as made public in the past. It sounds to me like a right royal RIP-OFF.
Your comments are more than welcome,

TIA
Mick Young
7 REPLIES 7
onlyme
Grafter

Re: Moving to Home Phone

Don't worry, leave it to PN, they'll sort you out.  All services previously provided by BT are available from PN, and cheaper.  See the comments in the Home Phone Help/How long..........  thread.
Dave
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Toulouse,
If you began with BT only last July I am guessing that you were on a 12 month contract and will have to pay a penalty for leaving early.
Onlyme,
Plusnet does not offer all the services BT provides. For example Call Barring is unavailable.
Caller Display comes free with BT Privacy At Home (subject to a few chargeable calls being made) but costs £1.50 pm with Plusnet.  I am no fan of BT, and am in the process of moving to Plusnet Homephone, but it is unwise to make sweeping generalisatiions in these matters.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: alanf
Toulouse,
If you began with BT only last July I am guessing that you were on a 12 month contract and will have to pay a penalty for leaving early.

Does look a distinct possibility - my leaving bill, from BT,  was £9.76 and another poster's was even less.
onlyme
Grafter

I stand corrected, allanf, replace my comment "All services..." with "Most services....".  Just for the record, my exit bill from BT is £15.21, I was not on 12 month contract, made calls with BT but they still charged me £1.75 per month for Caller Display.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

That's right. The Caller Display service from BT costs £1.75 pm. The BT Privacy At Home service, which includes Caller Display, is free (with a few strings)!!! BT puts the onus on people using Caller Display to cancel it and sign up to the free service. If you don't, you keep on paying.  BT, don't you love it?
My exit letter from BT mentioned services that will no longer be available to me.
1) Access to my account online. (Plusnet will provide)
2) Chose from several simple ways to pay your bill (at a price!!! - Plusnet requires Direct Debit)
3) Receive email when the bill is ready (Plusnet will provide)
4) View up to 6 months bills online (Plusnet will provide?)
5) Friends & Family discounts (Don't need them if my calls are included in my monthly charge)
6) Search for numbers online with 118 500 directory enquiries. (Never used it. How is a phone number online?)
Money was not mentioned in the above letter as I have been a BT customer for 20+ years and have not signed up to a special deal requiring a 12 month contract. I get my final bill next week.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

any one can get directory services free on line  Phone Book  Crazy
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
4) View up to 6 months bills online (Plusnet will provide?)

Yes indeed, in fact we go one better. Wink
With our service you can view ALL of your previous bills online, including itemised calls.
The exit letter from BT is a standard one I believe designed to make you re-think your choice. As you said though we provide all of the services mentioned, although they may be worded slightly differently. Smiley