cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving on from BT

Snarf
Grafter

Moving on from BT

Looking to move to PN phone from BT, however we seem to be on a rolling BT contract. I believe by law they're supposed to let us know when the contract is supposed to renew, but I can't find anything anywhere on their site about when our contract is up and I'd like to cancel it without incurring any extra charges.
Does anyone in the PN team know where I could/should be looking or is there a simple way to transfer over the phone to PN like with broadband?
7 REPLIES 7
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Moving on from BT

12/18 month contract?  With the new myBT site no  idea, only option is calling the Indian call center
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Snarf
Grafter

Finally managed to find when my contract expires (that part of the website had been down when I last tried to check). Contract expires on 8th June - it's a rolling contract, but I assume I don't need to provide notice to BT as the contract should just expire? 8th June is 28 days away, but as I said I couldn't actually check BT's website to see when the contract expired cause it was broken.
I've paid up front for the line rental anyway so I assume that PN will handle everything from now on?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes you need to tell them before had, if not they will renew it automatically.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Snarf
Grafter

They should no longer be allowed to automatically renew contracts anymore - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/13/ofcom_bans_rollover_contracts/
I've submitted a ticket to double check anyway!
adie:quote
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The ofcom ruling is that no new contracts could be sold after 31st December 2011 and any existing ones needed to be changed by 31st December 2012.
As your contract started before then they could in theory roll it over once more..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Snarf
Grafter

Yeah I've been reading the BT forums. Apparently people have tried to argue that they've never received the reminder letter about auto-renewal, but BT is only under obligation to say they've sent the letter (we've never had any reminders for the last 2 years we've been on the rolling contract). I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens and I'll wait and see what PN say.
Snarf
Grafter

Think I might have found my own answer - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36061/kw/cancelling/c/761,2072,2152
Summary - "If you're switching to another provider through the normal process, the notice period will be 14 days". The end of my current contract with BT is 8th June, so I'm assuming that all should be fine.