cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home soon and the phone socket is in the "wrong" place. Any advice welcomed please!

FIXED
Mazzy
Dabbler

Moving home soon and the phone socket is in the "wrong" place. Any advice welcomed please!

Hi! Hope you are all well. Sorry, for such a silly question but, we had a really quick look around our new home we are due to move in to soon. (We are still waiting for the keys at the moment). To my horror the phone socket is near to the front door in the hall way and away from any electrical plug socket too. (We also have broadband with Plusnet as well). I cannot run a plug socket across the floor with the wires as I am clumsy and disabled. What is the best thing I could do please? Where we are living right now the phone socket is in the living room next to my P.C desk near to two double plug sockets.  Many thanks! Marie. 

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Moving home soon and the phone socket is in the "wrong" place. Any advice welcomed ple

The only thing you can do realistically is ask Openreach to move the socket for you, which AFAIK, will incur a £160.00(plus VAT?) charge.

John
Mazzy
Dabbler

Re: Moving home soon and the phone socket is in the "wrong" place. Any advice welcomed ple

Many thanks for your reply jab1. I had a funny feeling this was going to be only way. Smiley

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Unless you can find an ex-Openreach engineer who would do it for less?😉

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Fix

There is another option here, especially if the new house in in a copper borne services stop-sell.

Opting for FTTP will entail a new installation - one which must be adjacent to a power socket.  Probably a cheaper option than a socket move.

You could probably engage an electrical engineer to install an extension power socket for less than the cost of relocating the phone socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mazzy
Dabbler

Many thanks for your help all and for suggesting an ex-Openreach engineer. I'm not really sure about the copper bourne services stop-sell. The home we are going to is quite old but, the phone socket looks much better than the one here. I would like the cheaper option if possible. Smiley

csmith94
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

Hi @Mazzy 

Thanks for your time on the phone today, it was a pleasure speaking with you.

I just wanted to reach out with some more options that are available to you. If you were to go ahead with a new deal then we'd be able to get an engineer out at no extra cost as part of a new installation.

However, you did mention that you were more leaning towards keeping the same deal so in this case it would be £60 for the house move cost as well as £49.99 to have an engineer come out.

Once you've got a date confirmed, get back to us and we'll be able to get the house move orders placed for you. To reach our Home Move Team, just call 0800 013 2632. 

Curtis Smith
 Plusnet Help Team
Mazzy
Dabbler

Many thanks for your call Curtis. Smiley It was a pleasure speaking with you too. We still don't know how you found who were were to contact us lol.. Its one less worry now as you know the situation we are going through.  

Yes, we would have prefered keeping our contract as it was (it was only re-done a little while ago) and just pay for the move etc... We expected to pay that is why I posted this to get a rough idea of the cost/idea of what we could do.

We will let you know as soon as we find out a moving date. Sadly, they didn't call so, its more waiting yet again for the keys!

Thanks again! 

Mazzy.