cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving and need new phone line - What's going on?

oakfield
Grafter

Re: Moving and need new phone line - What's going on?

Ok, This is getting bloody ridiculous now!

Engineer number 6 due this morning - No one shows up.

Engineer number 7 arrives this afternoon and can't do anything!!!!!

IT'S A SIMPLE JOB FOR THE RIGHT PERSON!

So, another wasted day off work and still no further on.

ps. I hope you had a nice week off.

oakfield
Grafter

Oh, and also to update the situation on my old property...
The new tenants had an engineer visit yesterday morning to reconnect the line, apparently it was a 2 week wait because that was the earliest available time an engineer was free. However, the engineer said it was his only job of the day and they spend half there time sitting in lay-bys waiting for their next job.....
Anyway, their internet still isn't connected and they've been told another engineer has to come out to switch it on and the earliest that can happen is next week (because the engineers are so busy!)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear this isn't sorted yet.

Leave this with me, I'll take a look when I'm back in the office tomorrow.

The new tenants had an engineer visit yesterday morning to reconnect the line, apparently it was a 2 week wait because that was the earliest available time an engineer was free. However, the engineer said it was his only job of the day and they spend half there time sitting in lay-bys waiting for their next job.....

It's not really our place to manage the resource of our suppliers.

Anyway, their internet still isn't connected and they've been told another engineer has to come out to switch it on and the earliest that can happen is next week (because the engineers are so busy!)

I'll take a look at their account too tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Every time OpenReach fail to keep an appointment Plusnet get compensation - make sure you get compensated. Also you are entitled to full compensation for all the extra days you take off work over and above the first one. See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

After a lengthy discussion with an Openreach Team Manager, it looks like they didn't link the new order to the previous orders which meant that the job wasn't allocated to their survey teams.

In light of the mistakes they've made throughout, the manager has agreed to prioritise the order and take personal ownership of this matter. With this in mind, we'd expect the job to be picked up by the survey team by Friday.

I'm moving the ticket on your account back to my teams pool so we can also take ownership.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Absolutely unbelievable incompetence from Openreach.Angry Why aren't PlusNet complaining about this and other openreach disasters to Ofcom. In consideration of Gandalf's comment "In light of the mistakes they've made throughout"  I think  "Apologies for the inconvenience caused" is wearing a bit thin now.

oakfield
Grafter

OK, Another little update for anyone that cares....

I received a phone call at 14:00 from an engineer saying he was at my property to fit a line. (no prior notice of this)

I was at work but I explained the situation to him over the phone and my wife went out to see him.

Anyway he leaves 5 minutes before I get home and when I phone him to ask what the outcome is he says.....

Wait for it........

He will have to get a surveyor out.

So engineer number 8 telling me the same as engineer number 1-7, (Actually engineer number 7 told me I didn't need a surveyor because it was a simple job, just he wasn't allowed to do it)

By the way Gandalf - I really do appreciate your help with this.  I know this isn't an official help line but I have got so much more help from you on this rather than being on hold for hours on the phone and passed through to 6 different departments on the online chat.

I also realise this isn't all Plusnets fault (apart from the initial mess up of the order) but it's you that my contract is with and my only point of contact.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm a bit disappointed that we're no further forward.

I'm contacting Openreach again now, I'll report back shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

So we've been informed that the survey team have been out and advised that an underground skilled engineer is required. We're to expect the job to be allocated appropriately within the next 2 working days.

However, as they're prioritising the order, they'll try their very best that the job is assigned to the relevant engineering team as soon as they possibly can. The engineer shouldn't need access to your property as it's been raised as an external task.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf I'm just wondering how BT can connect a cable to the OP's master socket without entering the property as in message#3 of this thread it would seem there is a master socket with no incoming cable to it.Wink

oakfield
Grafter

I would assume that the underground skilled engineer will do his bit and I will then get an appointment for an overground skilled engineer to do the inside bit?
All being well I am hoping to be connected by Christmas. (It's only 11 weeks!)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah that’s right. Once the external work is complete we’d arrange (yet) another engineer visit to complete the internals.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gandalf wrote:
Yeah that’s right.

That he should be connected by Christmas?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
oakfield
Grafter

Time for the daily update!

Engineer number 9 called me today. He was also engineer number 2 and 3 I think!
Anyway, he called me to see what was going on as he had been assigned the job and remembered it from a few weeks ago.
I explained the situation and said apparently a survey team came over yesterday and were going to assign a skilled underground engineer to do the work.
He said he was a skilled underground engineer, but if it was the same as the last couple of times he visited there was nothing he could do.
He came over and was disgusted things have been dragging on like this, so got another local engineer to come and take a look.
Anyway, they both said that a survey team need to be sent out!

Maybe I was being optimistic with the Christmas deadline!
oakfield
Grafter

I feel like my options are slightly limited here. This is still dragging on and doesn't look like being resolved anytime soon, we will not be getting virgin media etc in this area, so I am now considering forgetting about a landline and going for 4g home broadband.
Probably not as quick or reliable as a hard connection but at least I can be up and running in a couple of days (and probably cheaper too)