cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving and need new phone line - What's going on?

oakfield
Grafter

Moving and need new phone line - What's going on?

I called PlusNet a few weeks ago to inform you that I will be moving house and the new property will require a new phone line to be installed as it is a new conversion of a farm building - I was signed up to a new fibre contract and given a date that things would take place - the 15th of September.

An engineer visited last week and seemed very confused - he thought he was adding an additional line from my current house to the new conversion which isn't the case - It needs a new phone line coming from a new location.

He fitted a master socket to the new property, and said BT would be in touch about fitting the new line, but I've not heard from anyone yet....

it seems he has also changed the telephone number in my current property, so as of last week I have had no internet connection.

I have spent hours on hold on the phone and hours on the online chat being passed to 6 different people and I still have no internet connection in my current property, and no phone line in the new property.

What's going on???

68 REPLIES 68
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Moving and need new phone line - What's going on?

Hello there.

From looking into this, it does seem a bit puzzling. The line at your old address isn't actually ceased, but it's testing the line is bringing up a disconnection in the network at the distribution point which likely coincides with the new order completing.

I've reported that as a fault through to Openreach now, we'd expect an engineer to be back out within 24-48 hours.

With regards to your new address, we've definitely arranged a new line installation. I'm assuming you've tried plugging a phone handset into your new master socket at your new address and you have no dial tone?

As for your telephone numbers, your new line order was placed with a different number to your previous, so I'd expect things to return to normal once the above fault is rectified.

I'm moving your house move ticket to my teams ticket pool so we'll keep personal ownership of this.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oakfield
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
I haven't tried plugging a phone into the new master socket, because that is all that is there - there are no wires coming out of it! It physically needs a piece of wire connected from a pole at the end of our new drive to the property.

With regards to the current property and lack of internet - I can live with that if I need to, I am moving at the weekend into the new property, the new phone line installation there is my main priority.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It sounds like we need to arrange another engineer visit to rectify the problem for your new line.

I'll provide an update to this ticket shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oakfield
Grafter

I don't think it's an engineer visit I need for the new line - I need a team to either put new telegraph poles down the drive, or put the cable underground (I do have an empty duct from the road to my new property if they wanted to use it)

Thanks for your help on this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As the order has completed we'd need to progress this as a fault, and since testing the line isn't finding any issues we'd need to arrange another engineer visit. From there they should be able to arrange this to be rectified.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf What line are you testing, the existing one to the old property which now may be disconnected or has a different number or the phantom new one that doesn't exist, the engineer fitted a master socket and claimed the job was complete with no line connected, the incompetence of BT openreach engineers is totally beyond belief. So the order has completed, I don't think so and the cycle continues, another engineer goes to sort out the mess the last one left. Seems to be a common theme.Sad

oakfield
Grafter

I have mentioned to about 7 members of staff at plus net that the phone number appears to have changed since the engineer visited as I would assume that it no longer corresponds to my broadband account details and that is why I no longer have an internet connection.
I am by no means an expert on how these things work so maybe I am completely wrong!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As per my initial response, your current line is testing faulty which I have raised over to Openreach which is likely preventing your router from connecting to the internet.

The services aren’t ceased, and your account details wouldn’t have an effect on the line.

To progress your new order, as it’s been completed we need to progress this as a fault too but since we’re not detecting an issue from a line test we’d need to arrange a visit.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oakfield
Grafter

But don't you need the new telephone number that has been assigned to my current property to test the line?

Sorry if I am wasting your time with stupid questions!
The last 3 digits have changed from 558 to 060.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I’ve left the office for the night, but it’s likely part of the fault. It could be a crossed line, possibly something to do with your new line.

I’ll follow up tomorrow.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oakfield
Grafter

Ok, no problem.
And thanks again for your help.
Have a good evening.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

But don't you need the new telephone number that has been assigned to my current property to test the line?

Sorry if I am wasting your time with stupid questions!
The last 3 digits have changed from 558 to 060.

The lines haven't been renumbered as such, but it's possible as a result of the engineer visit your new line and old line have been crossed somewhere at the exchange or DP.

And thanks again for your help.
Have a good evening.

No problems, and thanks Smiley

If you reply to the text message or ticket online we can book an engineer visit to arrange for your new line installation to be completed.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
oakfield
Grafter

Hi,

I replied to the message and got booked in for a visit from the engineer tomorrow afternoon.

An engineer turned up this morning - is that the one I was expecting tomorrow, or something separate? 

Anyway, he was very disappointed in how the last engineer left things and has re-established the correct phone number to our current property, although there is still no internet connection.

What next?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

An engineer turned up this morning - is that the one I was expecting tomorrow, or something separate? 

That'd be related to the fault report I raised when your current line was testing faulty.

Anyway, he was very disappointed in how the last engineer left things and has re-established the correct phone number to our current property

That's good to hear, glad he resolved it.

although there is still no internet connection.

That's because our automated system placed the fibre order against your current address instead of your new address so your line there is testing as fibre. If you set up your new router we've sent you you should be able to connect.

What next?

Can you let us know how the visit tomorrow goes?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet