cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to Plusnet now no phone tone/broadband. Help!

FIXED
RWI
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Moved to Plusnet now no phone tone/broadband. Help!

Hello, Question #166896633 -

Fault Location CE
Diagnosis Code TO16
Fault Dis in network
External fault

So my question is What Happened?

My very first forum question ever! I've obviously been very lucky over the years and then I moved to Plusnet..

So my last provider went down yesterday and the switch started. Plusnet advised me my phone was live and then the next day I was told my broadband was live. I've never had a 2 day switch before..

Anyway I now have no phone tone or broadband!!!

Had a few problems making a payment too and was asked to pay again and trying to contact customer service on the phone never happened as I just gave up. Longest wait ever!!!

I've opened a job online and have been advised there is a fault (wasn't 2 days ago when I was with Sky) and looking at the notes I will not hear anything else till next week!!!!!!

IS THIS STANDARD Plusnet SERVICE or am I just unlucky this time? Worst service ever so far..

Thanks for any insight into this fault and Plusnet as a provider.

Question #166896633 -
20 REPLIES 20
AngrySarah
Hooked

Re: Moved to Plusnet now no phone tone/broadband. Help!

I am really sorry to say I think this is standard plusnet service. I am in exactly the same situation as you just a week further along. I switched from Sky 8 days ago (same staggered switch) and had service for a few hours and now nothing. I have phoned them every day since and their response is always to blame Openreach. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but you should expect to be without service for some time.
RWI
Hooked

Hi,

Sorry to hear it's not just me, looks like this happens on the regular then!!

I have been at the same address with other suppliers and never had an issue moving. You just get switched over with a minimal loss of phone/broadband that day. So I know this is a Plusnet (BT Group) problem..

Thanks for the feedback, I had asked as I wanted to know if this had happened to others as family have asked for a recommendation and I cannot recommend Plusnet given they have cut me off from my previous phone/broadband supplier and left me with nothing.

I also took (ported via PAC code) two mobile sim deals and we realise we can no longer send premium texts (to enter competitions etc) as Plusnet has barred that option! Outrageous!! They need to concern themselves with providing the service I pay for not telling me how we use our phones or spend our money!!! I used to like texting the radio station I listen to once in a while (maybe 15p a text or something cheap) and now I can't join in. No mention of this when I moved our phone numbers over (sigh).

The longer I'm with Plusnet the more issues I'm noticing.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to the community forums @RWI

Sorry to hear you're experiencing a fault with your service

I can see the line test you completed online yesterday found a potential line fault and this has been raised to Openreach. We've been advised of an estimated response time of by 26/01/18 23:59:59.

If the problem wasn't there when you were with your previous provider, it's possible that either the engineering work wasn't done correctly before the order completed, or the fault lies on the BT Wholesale equipment (As an LLU provider, Sky use their own equipment in a lot of exchanges).

At the moment, we're waiting for an engineer to pick up the job, but ultimately it's due to engineer availability in your area.

I hope this helps clarify things.

@AngrySarah

I've replied to your thread over here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RWI
Hooked

Thanks for the reply Gandalf, two things are good, Help and Information.

So the issue lies with the BT Group (owners of Plusnet and Openreach). Different names but same owner..

If it helps to change my phone number I will take a new number just terminate the old one instead of supplying it from Sky.

Not a lot I can do I just wanted to see if this had happened to others and get an idea of (BT Group) Plusnet service.

I had read the job would be picked up on the Monday 29th, so your mention of the 26th is doubtful. I will keep this post updated..
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Whilst we're owned by BT Group (Have been for the past 10 years), our suppliers Openreach (And BT Wholesale) work independently from BT. This is to ensure a level playing field for all ISPs that use their services.

If it helps to change my phone number I will take a new number just terminate the old one instead of supplying it from Sky.

The issue isn't the telephone number, it's with the line.

We'll sadly need to wait until an engineer picks the job up.

I had read the job would be picked up on the Monday 29th, so your mention of the 26th is doubtful.

Our system placed your ticket on hold until the 29th to allow time for updates to come through from our suppliers.

But the estimated response time given to us by Openreach is by 26/01/18 23:59:59.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RWI
Hooked

So all OWNED BY the BT GROUP as I correctly stated..

Let's face it PLUSNET is aware they had/have and will continue to leave some customers without a phone/broadband service.

What steps have/will be made to prevent any other customers being WITHOUT PHONE/BROADBAND after a move to PLUSNET? None!

All well and good pointing a finger at the BT Group (covers everyone owned by BT Group) but what is PLUSNET doing about it? Nothing!

So unless changes are made Plusnet will continue to leave some customers with no service. Also will Plusnet be pointing out when advertising their products that after a switch to Plusnet you could be left with NO SERVICE. Nope!

Unless you see a problem and fix it you cannot keep blaming others. It's your problem, claim it and fix it so it never happens again.

If this is beyond Plusnet then offer some sort of cashback/goodwill gesture for your failings. Those accountable should be penalised for a bad service.

There is clearly a problem which your answer to it is to say it's not Plusnet's fault. If you continue to allow it to happen after the first time every other time after that IS your fault.

Excuses Do Not Fix Problems.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Nice rant, but pointless as any line faults have to fixed by BT Openreach who are a law unto themselves and do things as and when they feel like it

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As others have said , you are unfortunate @RWI .

problems with switching isp providers don't happen to everyone, in fact they happen to very few people as most transfers happen without trouble, but anyone who has a phone or broadband fault has to have it dealt with by BT Openreach who operate and repair the telephone and broadband network in the uk. (Except for virgin that is). So you'll just have to wait your turn and hope the problem is not too hard to solve.  

I don't actually know what Plus Net or any other isp could do to prevent problems from occurring other than BT completely replacing the entire internet and phone network with new state of the art equipment right across the U.K. And they are not going to complete that task anytime soon .

The telephone phone system wasn't built to provide broadband or digital connectivity and much of it is 60 to 70 years old. It's got some fancy new technology bolted on to it to enable digital signal transfer  but the bulk of the network is where  the problems occur . So that's why I don't see what Plus Net or BT can do to prevent your kind of problem from ever happening again  

However good luck and keep us posted. Sometimes customers do get treated badly , but miraculously there are still plenty of happy customers around .  

RWI
Hooked

Fix
Thanks, you all have answered my question.

I'm not expecting anything special now. I feel from what you say Plusnet have no control over this situation. So basically this forum is pointless for this issue and nothing will change.

So this will happen over and over again.

As I said earlier if there is no control by Plusnet over this situation then some form of goodwill gesture as standard for any customers affected would be a good idea but certainly little help for us missing a home phone/broadband.

I will just wait till it's sorted.

Fixed/Answer
"It's all BT Openreach's fault"

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Yes you've got it.Smiley PlusNet may offer some token goodwill gesture after it's sorted.

RWI
Hooked

I don't think you get sarcasm..

It's far from "fixed" and Plusnet is who advertised broadband/phone deals and took my money to supply them.

Now you say it has nothing to do with them it's another BT Group company (again they are ALL owned by the same company) called Openreach.

So you get to advertise products and when you don't deliver you just blame someone else? Or the not fit for purpose infrastructure based on another reply.

According to the replies I'm reading the FIX is actually to go with VIRGIN who deal with everything and use Fibre-optics.

Prepare for this problem, put measures in place and inform the customer of the possibility of joining Plusnet and having no phone/broadband service. I'd have no issue if I knew all this up front.

Literally just got a message from Plusnet as I type this telling me I have almost used all my mobile data on my Plusnet sim!! Ha ha ha Thanks for that info I'll switch my Plusnet WiFi on.. Oh wait...
RWI
Hooked

Just got a text from Plusnet too..

You can add a bolt-on to keep using your mobile how you want to. Just send a text to 07507309082 or reply to this SMS with the bolt-on you want, our guide is here https://goo.gl/ST7405 or call us free on 500 between 7:30am and 10pm easy peasy! Remember that your bolt-on will expire on your bundle refresh date.

So you make me use my Plusnet mobile data more than usual as you don't supply me with Wi-Fi then you try to make more money off me for the the inconvenience. Bravo Plusnet bravo this really is big business at work.

Seriously though it's not the end of the world I'll just have to wait and work the best I can until then. Thanks for all the information it has helped me form an opinion on the service/infrastructure I'm dealing with. It will be fixed when it's fixed, hopefully the service I get is worth the wait.

Best of luck to anyone reading this with similar problems. Patience is a virtue apparently : )
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero

Still ranting then, I was merely pointing out that your statement "It's all BT Openreach's fault" was correct. Actually most of Virgin's network is Coaxial copper cable into the home, not Fibre and their network has a reputation for bad latency, jitter and  congestion in some areas along with poor customer support so I wouldn't be using them.

RWI
Hooked

As well as not getting sarcasm you clearly do not spot well articulated dialogue and think using an exclamation point equals a "rant".

I've been on Vigin, NEVER had a problem.

I came to Plusnet as they advertise great service with a great deal. Not getting the great service (or phone/broadband) as advertised so asked for info or help. I guess that's me "ranting" again.

Also I have never been on hold for so long after calling customer service the wait is looong! Plusnet fail on all counts so far.

These are FACTS like them or not and clearly you have too much time on your hands trolling a forum and offering NO SOLUTION to my problem. But again thanks for the information telling me Plusnet will do nothing and it's down to BT Openreach. I get it, Plusnet have no control and as I also said it's not the end of the world. Now I must go I have been informed by Plusnet my mobile data is running out. Would be a shame if I ran up a bigger data bill this month (sigh).