Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money for Nothing?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Money for Nothing?

Hello @avgordon

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your phone service. I can't really add much more than what's already been suggested, however, as for:

@avgordon wrote:

Hi It says on the email I was sent that I will be charged if no fault is found. The phone is not connected to the test socket just now.

If an engineer advises that there is no fault found/right when tested, this would be looked into on a case by case basis before the charge is applied (because we're aware that sometimes engineers can't diagnose a fault on the first call out).

As long as you've done the checks we've advised (the checks being to try an alternative handset in your test socket, ideally a non cordless handset without a microfilter), then I'd probably recommend to go for the engineer.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@MrSilver wrote:

and any chance you can try the digital phone in a neighbours socket?

Excellent suggestion - if you haven't done this I'd strongly recommend you do so.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Although I appreciate it may not give us anything else further to advise, would it be possible for you to upload some photos of how you have the phone connected up please.

It seems strange that the problems are apparent on 2 phones (Both being Panasonic KX-******) but not on another old cordless phone.

avgordon wrote:
I tried a cordless phone and this is ok except it is old and the ringer doesn't work.

This would indicate that the problem is with the phone and not the line if the other cordless phone works.

I'd also be interested to hear if the Panasonic phones work on another line set up in the same way.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
avgordon
Dabbler

Yes I have tried the phone using a neighbours socket. It works ok.

avgordon
Dabbler

I have tried to upload a couple of photos. One of the digital phone and one of the corded one. Both using the same cable. The corded one works the digital one doesn't but does work on my neighbour's line. There is nothing wrong with the phone. I have tried different cables and splitters all with the same result.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hmm. Have you tried connecting your cordless phone into the phone socket without a micro filter?
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/No-dial-tone-on-panasonic-cordless-phone-after-outa...

Not quite sure how this works, but lot of people in this thread have the Panasonic cordless phones, no dial tone but works on corded phone. Fix was loose connection in cab. No idea why for some corded worked, maybe because corded is dumb and the Panasonic is thinking the line is dead?? Random but thought it might help
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I've skimmed over these posts so sorry if you have already been asked, tried or answered the following-

Is that the only phone socket in your house? The reason for asking is because the phone wire going to the phone socket would be expected to be attached to the top of the skirting if BT installed it.

Does the BB come back on if any of the phones are connected and your landline number is called?

If you get a dial tone on the phone that doesn't ring, then plug the BB in does the BB now work? (try the same with either Panasonic)

Do you or any neighbour have a spare corded phone that's known to work elsewhere that you could to try?

I think it could be a break/fault/resistance issue in a cable and if the older cordless is analogue then my guess is it would work but as you've proven the other phones do not....

(note to PN. I know Lithium host these forums, but why does the spell checker give corrections using the American dictionary - it highlighted as mistyped neighbuor as neighbor?)

edit. and the two replies above weren't there either Huh

avgordon
Dabbler

Yes and the test socket
avgordon
Dabbler

BB?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Broadband

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@avgordon wrote:
Yes and the test socket

Just to be clear, you have the phone socket as shown in the image you posted earlier and another phone socket in another room? Or do you mean the socket as per your image where you've plugged the 'splitter' in to and also the test point behind the lower removable cover (on the same socket)?

If you do have 2 separate phone sockets, do you know which one is the master socket - the first one where the external phone cable enters the room? If you mean you only have one then ignore the first part of this sentence.

jelv, thanks

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

This may sound strange, but is the polarity correct at the phone? The phone may not like 0v and +48v instead of 0v and -48v (or is it the other way round?) - IIRC one leg is earth reference, someone will know. I assume you were unplugging the cables at the phone/router when trying the phone in the ADSL socket (since the other ends have different plugs).

I had a problem with a modem/router where there was a clear difference between two cables - one was "straight" and the other "cross-over".

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.