cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money for Nothing?

avgordon
Dabbler

Money for Nothing?

I have broadband and phone with plusnet.  My digital phone is not working, it comes up with check phoneline. I bought a new phone and got the same result.  I tried a cordless phone and this is ok except it is old and the ringer doesn't work.  My broadband is ok and when I plug the broadband cable into my digital phone it works! Unfortunately when I do this I have no internet or wireless connection.  Plusnet have told me that the phoneline is ok and I have run the checks they advise to no avail.  They say that BT need to come to my house and that if they can't solve the problem I will be charged £65 even if the there is no problem at my end and the fault lies with them.  So I could end up paying £65 and still have a phone that doesn't work.  Money for nothing.

27 REPLIES 27
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Money for Nothing?

Sorry to hear that there's problems.

Having checked the line, I can vouch for the previous adviser as the line test runs clear.

The £65 charge only stands if the fault on the line is down to your own equipment. The fact that it seems to work ok on one device and not so well on another suggests that this might be the case. Appreciate that you have said that you've done the checks, but are you currently connected to your test socket at the moment?

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi

Not quite sure what you mean "when you plug the broadband into your digital phone" ?

You do have microfilters on the socket and the phone plugged into the splitter? Just checking as if you dont that would have the same impact of having the phone will worn on its own, the router will work on its own but if the two are on different extensions and don't have filters it wont work. You need filters on every extension socket (unless the first socket already has it built into it via an engineer install).

When you say digital phone, do you mean a digital cordless phone or a voip phone into your router?

avgordon
Dabbler

I have the phone and the router plugged into the splitter. This has been the setup for some years. When I tried plugging the router lead into the phone it worked fine but obviously then I have no internet connection. I have tried various leads and splitters but none have worked. I even bought a new phone to try. The phone is a Panasonic digital cordless.

avgordon
Dabbler

Hi It says on the email I was sent that I will be charged if no fault is found. The phone is not connected to the test socket just now.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This may be a silly question but where in your system do you have the filter and have you tried a different one

avgordon
Dabbler

By filter do you mean splitter? if so it is attached to the  junction box on the wall. I have tried 3.

MrSilver
Pro

Hi,

Apologies if this is part of what you have tried.

If you have a newish telephone socket you can unscrew the front and inside will be a test port that is a phone socket.

If you plug in the filter you have and only the telephones do any of them give you service? (while no broadband is plugged in?) If you can try each of the phones and micro filters just to check there is no funny combination issue.

Do you have any extensions either plugged in or wired into the master socket (even if nothing on the end of them)?

Need to run a test from that test port with nothing at all wired into it to completely remove in home wiring issues.

If you can /have done that then that is what you can replicate when the engineer comes as it process its not an in home wiring issues (unless all 3 filters and all phones are broken!).

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't mean  a splitter

The filter would look like this

ADSL-Filter

MrSilver
Pro

although not quite that big in real life 😉

avgordon
Dabbler

That's what I mean by a splitter.

MrSilver
Pro

avgordon
Dabbler

Hi

I have tried your suggestion with the broadband disconnected but it made no difference. I'm only getting anything from the corded phone not the digital.

MrSilver
Pro

thanks, can you confirm which digital phone it is too, and any chance you can try the digital phone in a neighbours socket? Sometimes the bit on the bottom of the digital base has 2 connections, one for a headset and one for the phone line, the icons can be small sometimes so before having to pay £65 engineer visit are you 100% sure that phone is plugged together correctly, paired to the base station and working on a phone line somewhere?

avgordon
Dabbler

The phone is a Panasonic KX-TG6421E. I have also tried a Panasonic KX-TGD322EB with the same result.