cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading Advert/Email

smithgt

Misleading Advert/Email

I've just been invited by PlusNet to subscribe to their phone service - they state that its  "£3.96 a month cheaper than BT Option 2"
Isn't this a false claim as PN want to charge and exta £1 for the voicemail that BT include in their offering plus another £1 for Caller Display?
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Misleading Advert/Email

I don't think it's necessarily a false claim. After all our service is cheaper. Used in the context it is I don't think additional calling features are really relevant here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulby
Grafter

Quote from: smithgt
Isn't this a false claim as PN want to charge and exta £1 for the voicemail that BT include in their offering plus another £1 for Caller Display?

I wouldn't have thought so. 
You have to opt in to both 1571 and BT Privacy otherwise you don't get voicemail or Caller Display.  If you don't wan't to have BT Privacy you can pay £1.75/month for BT's standard Caller Display.
So for a "plain vanilla" BT Together Option 2 comparison with PN's Evening and Weekend calls package, the figures are correct.
fathouseflies
Dabbler

I agree with the OP....I very nearly signed up with PN homephone,good job I bothered to check caller id and voicemail prices.
Still,a lot of people will get caught out by this,but these legitimate but slightly decieving advertising methods are the norm these days. People should have learned by now.
I'll stick with BT for now as the saving isn't worth the bother.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I needed a new phone so bought one with a built in answer machine. Now I pay nothing for voicemail.
I pay for Caller ID as I don't want to speak to everyone who calls me Wink
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jmd
Grafter

I think Homephone Anytime+ is good value.  I too have phone with built in ansaphone so do not need voicemail.  I pay for Caller Display as being hard of hearing I can see who is calling me and greet them by name!
And if it says "international" then decline to answer!!
paulby
Grafter

Both Anytime+ and the £9.99 packages are still cheaper than the equivalent BT packages even after you include caller dispaly and voicemail.
PN evening+weekends inc. Caller Display and Voicemail = £11.99
BT Together Option2 inc. "free" Caller Display + Voicemail = £13.95
PN Anytime+ inc. Caller Display and Voicemail = £17.99 (includes inclusive calls to top 20 international destinations)
BT Together Option3 inc. "free" Caller Display and Voicemail = £18.45 (no international call allowance)
The only package which is not available on PN is an Option 1 equivalent (BT's £10.50 package with no iclusive calls).
So, unless you're on BT Together Option 1, PlusNet's packages are better value if you want to include Caller ID and 1571, even taking into account the £2 charge.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Paul_B
So, unless you're on BT Together Option 1, PlusNet's packages are better value if you want to include Caller ID and 1571, even taking into account the £2 charge.

Not exactly the whole picture, I was on Option1 but also spent £7 to £10 on 18185, so HP plus £2 for some of the free BT features, is better for me than Option1.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
paulby
Grafter

@godsell4
You're right - I should have added the proviso "dependent on your usage"!