Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from BT

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Migrating from BT

I just got my BT bill for the last quater. £22 for calls and £47 for charges. So I think I might be moving to Plusnet.
How much do Plusnet do and how much do I do? If I order it then do Plusnet do all the work and deal with BT or do I have to let BT know?
20 REPLIES 20
James
Grafter

Re: Migrating from BT

Hi Steve,
Once you've placed an order, there shouldn't be anything that you would need to do.  We'll arrange for the transfer of service, which should also result in BT Retail being informed of the transfer of service.
It's generally a good idea to give them a ring to let them know once the transfer has completed just to make sure they stop billing you and send a final bill.
cameron
Grafter

I signed up for the line rental and broadband package with plusnet and am surprised to find that I still have to pay line rental to BT
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Who said you have to pay line rental to BT? The whole idea of moving to home phone is you pay line rental to PlusNet and not BT.
cameron
Grafter

BT says I have to pay them line rental which leaves me no choice.
I did try telling BT I had taken out line rental with plusnet but they said they have never heard of plusnet
So I am thinking maybe it was mistake to take package with the alleged plusnet.
BT are the big bosses.
Thanks for your concern

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you actually got PN's homephone active? Judging by the dates on the posts, your order won't have got through the system yet. You will get a letter from BT stating that they've received a request to transfer your service and giving a transfer date. Until your service is active you have to pay BT and if your BT bill has just arrived, you could ask them if you could defer payment instead of paying BT 3 months in advance (and then have to wait for a partial refund) instead wait for BT's final bill, but be careful it's only a few days otherwise you might cop a late payment charge etc.
You can check when your PN service is active, Dial 150, if you get an announcement saying you can't call that number from this line, then your PN service is active. Then Ring BT 0800800150 and ask them when you are getting your final bill.
In any event, whoever you spoke to at BT is wrong (especially if it was India who can often get things wrong).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: cameron
I signed up for the line rental and broadband package with plusnet and am surprised to find that I still have to pay line rental to BT

are you under a misunderstanding?, line rental is only taken over by plus net when you take out the home phone as well, if you continue to take the phone from BT you have to pay them rental.
cameron
Grafter

Thanks for your replies.
My understanding was that I signed up for the home phone and broadband package and that seems confirmed.
I had not idea that anything more was required of me regarding the transfer of the line rental.
I would have done it.
I did  have some other problems with the broadband but those got sorted.
But the line rental I assumed, obviously wrongly, would be straightforward.
And fo not understand why, if I needed to do anything, I was not informed by plusnet.
I am waiting for plusnet to explain.
I am grateful for concern shown on this forum
Thanks,
Carol
Mand
Grafter

Hi Cameron,
I've added an update to your ticket for you. Your Home Phone transfer has not yet gone ahead, so for the moment you are still a BT customer.
If you have any further questions about this please let me know. Smiley
cameron
Grafter

This was first reply I got:
I can confirm that you currently are a Plusnet broadband customer however we are still in the process of carrying your homephone over to us.
This is the other one just received:
In order to take our Home Phone services you are required to pay your invoices by Direct Debit. This is detailed on the signup pages for Home Phone.
Your order to transfer Home Phone services has not yet been placed because you do not have an active Direct Debit instruction with us at the moment.
If you would like us to place the transfer please visit the Member Centre, and update your payment details to Direct Debit. Alternatively you can call us on 01142965198 and update your details on the call.
James
Grafter

Hiya,
What my colleagues have said is correct.  You do not currently have an active Direct Debit setup on your account.
Could you possibly submit one for us with the Payment Details section of your Member Centre and then we'll be able to get that order placed for you.
cameron
Grafter

I took out the package and assumed  that I would be paying one bill for broadband and line rental by direct debit.
I was not warned that I need to activate anything,
This is the first I have heard about it
Carol Caneron
James
Grafter

Carol,
I'm sorry if I'm making this a bit confusing Smiley
It looks like, on your account that the Direct Debit was cancelled.  I just need you to resubmit the DD request via your account.  You will still be paying for both of the services together, but we need the DD to be resubmitted first before we can place your Home Phone order.
cameron
Grafter

According to BT I have not been paying for both services together. I never bothered checking before but see that  phone is 'not ready to use', and 'unconfigured.'  No suggestion that I need to activate something - not one I saw.
I made initial payment , and then there were 2 by direct debit which probably were just for broadband. But the direct debit  was working without my doing anything - I got email telling me they were taking payment.
But I fear from what you say now that the  Direct Debit  may have now gone wrong - I cannot tell.
Or maybe the direct debit phone element is not functioning.
Fact is that I am BT's customer and I do have to pay the bill they sent.
I have not been happy with BT - they overcharge but they are going to make changes about their outrageous payments but I have reservations about leaving them because they are powerful.  I hoped plusnet would be safe compromise and maybe it is.
So obviously I have been reflecting on that and frankly not sure at present what to do.
Plusnet and Madasafish, whatever problems might have, are in a different league from  Tiscali and TalkTalk (I read small print).
This forum itself is a credit to plusnet and  I do want to keep my broadband with plusnet - it is good value and I like it.
I am confused and would be grateful for suggestions as to what to do to get sorted out. You are asking me to resubmit and this sounds as if I have to reapply for whole package again and given that I have acquired a plusnet profile that would be complicated.
Thanks.
Cameron
James
Grafter

Hi Carol,
Thanks  for talking to me just now.  As I said, if you want to go and add new Direct Debit detais, we'll be able to sort out your Home Phopne order for you.