Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Member of Plusnet team please help

sammieblue
Grafter

Member of Plusnet team please help

Question #34866816
Hi
I had Plusnet broadband & home phone service at my rented property but as I was moving out of the property and not moving into a new property for a couple of months I had my account suspended.
I have now moved into the new property and found that the previous tennant's broadband & home phone was still live at the property
I arranged for Plusnet to take over this line & they told me it would take two weeks for them to take over the phone line & seven days extra for broadband
After some confusion between Plusnet & BT over whether my new property had a phone line Plusnet finally rang on 09/09/2010 to tell me that they had taken over the phone line at my new property
However, the active phoneline at my new house is still that of the previous tennant's & their broadband remains live too (Orange I believe)
Plusnet have told me that I have two active phone lines but I don't understand how this is possible. I have tried both of the sockets in my house & both belong to the number of the previous tennant & Plusnet stated that they would be taking over the previous tennant's phone line.
This is the latest of a long series of issues I have had with my Plusnet account & I am running out of hair to pull out
Please assist
Many thanks
Samantha
24 REPLIES 24
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Member of Plusnet team please help

welll at least wecome to the forum
fadeaway
Grafter

sounds like a similar issue I am having, see my thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,88862.0.html
I think it's something to do with plusnet activating your number but openreach not patching it through the wires to your house. So while it is active, it's just not going anywhere because the old package from the previous tenants is in the way.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can I just clarify a couple of details please?
The number assigned to your order ends 0734, is this the number that your old tenants used?
Did an engineer attend the property?
FYI, we expect your broadband order to complete tomorrow, so this may help us shed some light on which line is which. As soon as I have the answers to the above questions we'll have a better understanding of what's happened and where we go from here.
sammieblue
Grafter

@ Ben Trimble
Yes my new Plusnet number ends 0734 but this is not the number the previous tennants used (which remains active as well as their broadband)
If I call my new Plusnet number from a mobile phone there is a ringing tone so it is working but not connected properly.
Plusnet rang a couple of weeks ago to arrange an engineer visit, when I asked why they told me that there was no active phone line at my new house & one would have to be installed.
I informed them that there was one & gave them the number which belonged to the previous tennant (I have added this phone number to my question raised at the member centre)
They checked it & informed me that it was a working number & that I would no longer need an engineer as this phone line would be taken over by Plusnet
However, an engineer turned up anyway when I was on holiday & called my mobile. I explained that Plusnet had previously told me I had a working phone line & an engineer visit was not needed. The engineer said he was standing outside my house and could see for himself that there was a phone line.
Plusnet called later that day to apologise for the mix-up & told me they had taken over the exisiting phone line & gave me my new number
I am so confused  Huh
Thanks
Sam
sammieblue
Grafter

@ fadeaway
Yeah I noticed you have a similar problem.
I hope both issues get sorted quickly. I'll keep an eye on your topic as it may help me understand mine.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

OK, so it seems that our order to takeover the line was converted to a new line installation by BT due to changes in Ofcom regulations. This is why the engineer went out. However, it seems that the engineer marked the job as 'completed' without connecting up the new line when they couldn't get access.
As such, you now have 2 lines - the old one that's still active with the old service and a new one which is connected in the exchange but there's no socket in your property.
We need to cease the service on the second line that doesn't go anywhere, then take over the first line properly, now that we have the number for it.
I'm very sorry that we've got into this situation so I've asked one of the most experienced Provisioning Team members to look after the order from here. He'll be in touch shortly to let you know how we're going to proceed.
This will inevitably lead to a delay in starting your service, for this I am very sorry.
sammieblue
Grafter

Thank you for your hard work Ben
I did give the previous tennant's working phone number to Plusnet employees more than once over the phone but it would appear that they did not record this information.
Are you able to give me any indication of how long this process will take?
Additionally, when first enquiring about moving home I was informed that Plusnet would pay for the move and that my 12 month contract would not start again but continue, meaning that I would be free to move on when my first contracted ended and not be tired to a new 12 month contract. However, I am now reading in the forums that this is not the case. Could you shed some light on this for me please?
Thanks again
Sam
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're looking at 2 weeks for the telephone transfer, a few days for us to remove the old broadband tag then a week for the broadband order.
We will re-start any old contracts but we're taking on the £65 broadband cease and reprovide charge. This will sit on your account for 12 months and will apply if you choose to leave us within that time.
MarkT

Thank you for your time on the phone today.
As agreed, we are going to go ahead with the transfer order on the previous line. This will take upto 2 weeks. If you are able to get the line stopped then this process can be speeded up.
Again, apologies about the delay.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you can contact the previous tenant tell them that you have to use the phone and that as they haven't stopped the line they will end up paying for any calls you make. To prevent that (and to allow you to get your own account activated) they need to contact BT (or whoever they paid for the phone) and ask for it to be stopped immediately.
That might do the trick!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sammieblue
Grafter

The former tenant was a student from Thailand and has returned to her native country thus it is very hard to get in contact with her.
From what MarkT was saying on the phone, it is very unlikely that Plusnet will be able to take over the line even with the two week process as the current supplier is Orange.
I have spoken with my fiance and we have decided that we would sooner have our Plusnet contract cancelled than have to go through additional stress
Considering all of the past problems on our Plusnet account and the emergence of this latest problem, along with the fact that it appears that Plusnet are unlikely to be able to resolve our problem any time soon, would Plusnet be willing to call it quits and cancel our contract free of charge as a good will gesture?
Thanks
Sam
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've asked Mark T to give you a call as soon as he's available later today so you can discuss your options.
I'm sorry that you've decided to leave without us having chance to put things right. Please bear in mind that as the correct order's now in progress, no other provider could start your broadband and telephone any quicker than we can.
MarkT

As per my voicemail, your order is progressing fine and is due to complete on the 29th.
Please can you call me to discuss this further?
Thank you.
stephR

Hi
I signed up for Plus net via the Money Saving Expert website that  states you get 4 months free Broadband. I can't find anywhere on the Plusnet site that I'm meant to add this information in order to recieve the discount.
I had an email yesterday to say that my phone line is now active and was given the phone number. The number works as a caller you hear the rining sound but nothing happens inside the property. Also I can't make a call as there's no dial tone.
I've checked all the wires and its a  brand new corded phone that I bought yesterday on the way home from work.
Can someone please advise????Huh