cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marketing and Scam Calls!

Mira80

Marketing and Scam Calls!

About a week ago I got a strange call from someone claiming to be from "car or road accident management". At first I was worried thinking someone I know might have been involved in an accident. But then this guy with an Indian accent said if "I" or "any of my friends" have been involved in a car accident we are entitled for a compensation up to 3000 pounds. And then I realized the call was either marketing or a scam. I didn't give out any information and said that I didn't want to claim anything. So then he said it must be a "mistake" (scared?) and hung up!  Huh
I have no idea how they can have my name and address and I'm really upset by this: someone I don't know knowing my name, phone number, address, etc. I hardly make phone calls or give my home phone number to anyone whether online or generally as I'm concerned about my privacy (not even utility providers, etc.). I also believe when I applied for a phone I chose for my number not to be listed. I'm also already registered with TPS.
I've contacted PN and they're always prompt with their replies. They offered me "extra" services if I wanted as the Anonymous Call Rejection, Choose to refuse, etc. I don't understand and don't want to pay extra money. I've only just had my home phone for several weeks now with BB from PN. I don't think PN shares our numbers, names, details, etc.... or does it? I would like to hear from any of you who has experienced something like this and what they've done about it. Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Marketing and Scam Calls!

Three hours ago I had a call from a support company advising me that I had files coming into my house down my telephone line and that I was in great danger Shocked
He asked me to switch on my computer to which I replied that I couldn't as I was away from home.
He said ok and asked for a convenient time to call back to which I replied "no thanks, goodbye" and hung up.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Maybe I had the same guy phone me Strat Smiley  After letting him tell me I was at great risk I informed him I didn't have a PC.  He was speechless and hung up Grin
Mira80

Files down your phone line!  Cheesy Good for you that you hung up! A friend of mine got a call like that a while ago.
I don't think I'll be answering my phone for some time. I'll have Voice Mail handle it! It's starting to get on my nerves. *sigh*  How do they know our names and addresses (as was in my case)! I've just come upon this, too: http://www.kathirvel.com/mobile-text-scam-claim-3750-for-the-accident-you-had/
Huh
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I don't usually answer these calls, I let the answer-phone take them but I was sitting here having a cup of tea and planning my next stage in the kitchen restoration and the phone rang.
I noticed the number displayed was 08000 and thought 'why not, let's have a giggle'
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jazz
Grafter

I think these sort of calls upset a lot of people.  the best thing is just to put the phone down and say nothing.  Alternatively you may find this american way of dealing with telephone marketing amusing http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com ; Roll_eyes
artmo
Aspiring Champion

That's funny.  Thanks jazz for posting Grin Grin Grin
Teds31
Grafter

Very funny I wish I had the guts to do it.
zubel
Community Veteran

You guys still have a landline phone plugged in?
I unplugged mine years ago and only plug it in if I want to actually make a call, which is incredibly rare now.
However, if someone like that calls me on my personal mobile I take a very dim view and generally hurl various forms of abuse at them till they hang up.  Lets hope they're recording it "for training purposes"
B.
Epyon
Grafter

I've just disconnected my phone i'm to cheap to change my number.
AJones
Grafter

I really wish someone would market the "Telecrapper 2000":
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/resnzk6d/
Marketing calls would be so much more fun!
Lulubelle54

Quote from: Mira80
About a week ago I got a strange call from someone claiming to be from "car or road accident management". At first I was worried thinking someone I know might have been involved in an accident. But then this guy with an Indian accent said if "I" or "any of my friends" have been involved in a car accident we are entitled for a compensation up to 3000 pounds. And then I realized the call was either marketing or a scam. I didn't give out any information and said that I didn't want to claim anything. So then he said it must be a "mistake" (scared?) and hung up!  Huh
I have no idea how they can have my name and address and I'm really upset by this: someone I don't know knowing my name, phone number, address, etc. I hardly make phone calls or give my home phone number to anyone whether online or generally as I'm concerned about my privacy (not even utility providers, etc.). I also believe when I applied for a phone I chose for my number not to be listed. I'm also already registered with TPS.
I've contacted PN and they're always prompt with their replies. They offered me "extra" services if I wanted as the Anonymous Call Rejection, Choose to refuse, etc. I don't understand and don't want to pay extra money. I've only just had my home phone for several weeks now with BB from PN. I don't think PN shares our numbers, names, details, etc.... or does it? I would like to hear from any of you who has experienced something like this and what they've done about it. Thanks!

Telephone Preference Service on the web is free to sign up to but takes 30 days to kick in. I mentioned almost word for word what you have said above, to PN and got the reply that they use recycled (previously owned) telephone numbers and these may not be blocked before they are allocated (by the previous users one supposes), Had several of these "cold calls" - which are illegal by the way- and chose to disconnect my phone for a few days and use my moblile!  See my response to another forum member 15/6/2011, as apparently you can go ex directory! Smiley
jim:green quote tag fixed mod:end
artificer
Grafter

although signed up to the Telephone Preference Service, i understand that it only blocks calls originating within the british isles and cannot prevent overseas marketing calls, which explains the occasional american accent.
this morning i received a call exactly like that of the op.  i told the woman she must have a wrong number and away she went.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Yes, that's right artificer the TPS only covers UK originated calls.  I'm getting fed up with all the calls from abroad which I can't stop.
albatros60

;Dwell just goes to prove one paranoid theory of mine  a) you ask to be unlisted from the start b) you request no further packages other than the one you opted for as it suited your modest means.  Therefore  CrazyWHO IN THE COMPANY IS SELLING new or old customer details to these providers based in the depths of Dubai  Lips_are_sealed Roll_eyes  Shocked