Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Problem with phone line

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Major Problem with phone line

@HAJ the fault has been reported as resolved (again). I've called you, it rang out and went to voice mail. I've tested the line though and it's still showing faulty so I've raised it back for you.
@jelv, We've looked into this on the ticket, but there are a number of criteria that we need to match.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: HAJ
Plusnet has left me in a very dangerous situation without a phone line, even to make emergency calls.

Not that it helps fix your issue, but it is BT Openreach who have left you in this position, not PlusNet.  PlusNet have reported the problem to the phone system monopoly supplier, who have (a) advised that there is a common fault affecting numerous users and (b) reported it as having been resolved.  Unfortunately it can sometimes be the case that a common fault is deemed resolved whilst an individual subscriber is still left with a residual fault.
Sadly BT Openreach then consider that to be a separate fault condition.  Many years ago some scallywags stole a length of copper trunk cable impacting multiple subscribers in the village.  Replacement of the cable took 5-8 days.  When that issue had been resolved, I found that I had the phone line for the pub in the next village and they had mine BTOR considered that to be a separate (not a consequential fault / fix failure) and I had to wait a further 2-3 days for a resolution.  My phone provider (not PN) could do nothing.
BTOR are a law unto themselves and no communications provider (such as PlusNet) has any power over then to force better performance.
The situation you have been left in is indeed unacceptable, but has not been caused by PlusNet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corsair

Hi HAJ
I sympathize with your predicament. For the second time this year my phone line is dead and, as last time, I have an estimate of 5 days to fix - went down Friday morning, fix 'promised' by midnight Tuesday. Fortunately I still have broadband and a mobile phone but I use the landline to call my sister and family in Canada through Anytime International 300 - try that on a mobile at approx. £1 a minute!
This service is worthy of the old Soviet Union - a monopoly and no incentive to get things right in a reasonable time. In my view 'reasonable time' would be 24 - 36 hours for a fault that requires home access, as mine did last February, and 12 hours for a fault outside the home as mine is this time - it is in the roadside cabinet or pole.
Hope you get a fix soon
Keith
PS I realise that the fault is on a BTOR line but BT owns PlusNet, does it not, and therefore PlusNet cannot be viewed as a wholly innocent bystander.
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Quote from: corsair
I use the landline to call my sister and family in Canada through Anytime International 300 - try that on a mobile at approx. £1 a minute!

If your sister has got internet access & a mobile etc why not use Viber etc http://www.viber.com/
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: corsair
PS I realise that the fault is on a BTOR line but BT owns PlusNet, does it not, and therefore PlusNet cannot be viewed as a wholly innocent bystander.

Sorry, but your post illustrates well the deep misunderstanding "Joe Public" has of how the BT Corporate group and industry rules function.  In situations such as this PlusNet is a wholly innocent bystander.  To blame PlusNet for BTOR's failures would be like blaming a bloke for his step brother's crimes.
BT has many divisions responsible for supplying different services to different bodies within and without the BT group.  BT Openreach is the "split off" division of the old British Telecom when the industry was opened up to competition.  They are the UK monopoly supplier of the local copper access networks.  These are "sold" to "retail" providers such as BT Retail, PlusNet, Talk Talk, Sky... etc on an equal no-special-favours (for BT group members) basis.
Anyone who believes PlusNet's "BT Group" parentage does them any favours is sadly mistaken, in fact I suspect that it works against them such that Ofcom cannot discern any possible favouritism or bias.  Further given that PlusNet's CEO comes out of the BT Group fold does I suspect make it very difficult for him to take BTOR to task when they fail to deliver to the expected service standards.
The worse that could be said about PlusNet in the context of the above analogy is that PlusNet are guilty of NOT ratting on their step family's failures to the relevant authorities.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@HAJ
We've received notification that the fault is resolved. Can you let us know if not please.
@corsair
Your phone fault has been reported and the ERT (Estimated Response Time) is by the end of the day tomorrow.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
HAJ
Dabbler

The fault was resolved yesterday (Monday). The gentleman from BT Openreach said to the relative who answered the door that the cable had gone down for several households (what he called a 'flat cable') and had been fixed last week for the others (it must have been fixed very quickly because I can find nothing on the Internet including Twitter about it). However my line had been overlooked. So in all, my line was down for 10 days and someone finally arrived from BT Openreach yesterday morning.
There may be internal complications and frustrations but in the end the customer has nothing to do with that. Just in the past few days Vodaphone has received large amounts of coverage for getting lines for non urgent emergency lines go down. While it's from the opposite direction, it bears out what I have said about the seriousness of anyone, pensioner or not, not having access to emergency services' lines. Everyone is vulnerable when something happens. This has also caused an enormous amount of stress and strain, as there are certain procedures basic to my life which I carry out on the Internet and it seems as if the fault in my line could have been fixed a lot earlier.
I diot know about the old Soviet Union, but certainly it seems that Plusnet, amongst others, loses control of its business when if comes to infrastructure and a sub contractor like chain and a phone line should be  treated as a vital utility as much as other utilities. 
Anyway it's on again and I await Plusnet contacting me as per its earlier posting about recompense. And I hope others with problems with their lines have them fixed quickly!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm really glad to hear the fault is now resolved. I've responded to your ticket with a gesture of goodwill on top of the refund already provided.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.