cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Problem with phone line

HAJ
Dabbler

Major Problem with phone line

Yesterday evening (Friday) there was a phone call around 6 pm and later I was about to find out who called by ringing up to find out the number. However I then found that the phone wasn't working. There was a lot of noise of the line and I couldn't dial out. When I tried to call my home landline on my mobile, it went straight to voicemail. I then took out all asdl's and put in a corded phone and then there was no tone at all. I have now replaced the asdl's (as you can see the broadband is working) When one picks up the phone now, there is now a noise which is like a muffled crackle. I have done nothing different to the phones and have spent hours trying to work out what is wrong. I can only think there is a fault on the line.
22 REPLIES 22
HAJ
Dabbler

Re: Major Problem with phone line

Just to say I have now lost the Internet as well! However I raised the issue with Plusnet yesterday and revived a response last night that it is an external fault. Just hope it is all rectified a lot sooner than the maximum wait time limit of 19th November!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi HAJ and welcome to the Community forum!
Sorry to hear about the fault, I'm glad to advise you that it's being worked on today.
Just to say I have now lost the Internet as well!

Unfortunately line faults that affect your phone service will also commonly affect broadband too. On the other hand that does also mean that when the phone service is back up and running broadband should be to.
Hoping to see that fixed soon for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HAJ
Dabbler

Hi Adam, thanks for your response but no luck as yet - still don't have a phone line or Internet aand friend is helping me out answering you! It's a bit scary having no phone line as while I am a pretty fit 80-something it means I am now having to be dependent on others. I hope this will be fixed in the next few hours!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,
No problem and sorry to see this is still an issue.
I've just chased our suppliers for an update, it seems the issue is taking a little longer to resolve than originally anticipated due to the it being a "common fault". This means that the extent of the issue is also affecting other lines in the same area.
We've been advised this is being worked on as a matter of urgency. I've added a little more detail in my latest update to ticket 94660070 which you can access by visiting http://contactus.plus.net
Thanks for your patience.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HAJ
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply Adam. I do have some slow internet back but to be honest I would have preferred if the telephone line had come back first (or of course both at the same time!) because it is scary being without a phone line. I see now the resolution date has been put back to 20th November rather than tomorrow (Wednesday). As I've been without a phone line since Friday, I have to say I'm not happy about this.
HAJ
Dabbler

Internet has now gone down again  Sad
HAJ
Dabbler

I cannot see how it can possibly be correct to leave someone without a phone line for five days now even for emergencies. I have had to go out and post this via a friend and have no way of contacting anyone from my home if anything happens. I am a pensioner in my eighties but this applies to anyone. Surely there are rules and regulations about this?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I understand your concerns, but I assure you that we try to resolve all issues as soon as we can. As Adam said, this was a 'common fault' which if anything would generally help to speed matters up.
We've had a clear message this lunch time confirming the phone should be resolved now. If you could confirm, we can then look at the broadband in more depth for you if this is still playing up.
Tony
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
HAJ
Dabbler

I still have neither a phone line or Internet after six days. If anything happened, I am not able to phone the emergency services. A phone is a vital utility and this cannot be correct. My phone line is dead and when people call me, the phone rings a couple times, rings which do not come through to my phone which remains dead, and then switches to voicemail which I cannot access because my phone line is dead. So for six days now I can neither phone out or receive calls and you gave not even insured that I have a substitute in case of an emergency. You have left me without any phone whatsoever. You also appear to be waiting for me to get access to an outside phone instead of checking yourself, compounding the danger of leaving someone without a phone line.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hello there,
Really sorry to hear that this is still an issue.
Our suppliers informed us at 12:57 that they believe the fault should now be fixed.
I've just tried calling to test this but there was no answer.
Can you confirm if this has been resolved please?
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HAJ
Dabbler

No, it is definitely NOT fixed and if I did not have a friend who allows me to use her mobile phone, I would not even have seen your message. Plusnet has left me in a very dangerous situation without a phone line, even to make emergency calls. I certainly do not accept £10 for the danger this puts me in and if I now have to buy a pay as you go mobile phone to access the emergency services if necessary, to make essential calls and use the Internet it will cost me much more than £10. A phone line is an essential utility not a financial instrument.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We're trying to get this sorted out for you as soon as we can.
I've passed the fault back to Openreach for further investigation for you. Having tested the line, it's still showing faulty so I hope for some sort of update for you ASAP.
I don't like discussing the financial side of things until the faults been fixed. We then know exactly how long you've had problems, what the cause was etc. We'll advise further about this on your ticket later.
Tony.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
HAJ
Dabbler

After seven days of no Internet and phone here and no means of accessing the emergency services from my home, I notice there is no mention of the outage on your Service Updates.
I must add for the record, Tony, it was not me who introduced the 'financial side of things' but Plusnet which introduced and decided on the arbitrary sum of £10.
The main concern for anybody is that someone is left without a phone line with access to the emergency services. Not only should you not assume that everyone has a mobile phone but it should be immaterial. But as far as I can tell it will cost a lot more than £10 to buy and use a mobile phone in any case. So what are you going to do about it? You are leaving customers in a dangerous situation.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Tony, have you initiated the special procedure for people who are in a vulnerable position which gets priority treatment from BT? If not, why not?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)