cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main phone socket

pudlcek

Main phone socket

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could help me with the following question.
Recently moved to a new flat and got a phone line installed. I assumed the phone line will be connected to the phone socket behind the TV (and close to the PC). When the engineer came we realised that socket was not the main socket. Looking around we found 3 more phone sockets (one in the bedroom, another in the lounge). None of them worked. And finally we found the main socket which was in the kitchen - as far away as possible from the TV, PC etc
How can I move the phone line from the main socket to any of the other sockets in the house. Do I need to get OpenReach to come over again? And if so, would they charge.
I went for fibre optic connection (which works great!) but if can't connect my SmartTV to it, there is no need for such a fast connection.
Thanks!
Jan
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Main phone socket

The easy way is to use home plugs to feed the signal from the modem to the router
If you intend to go down that route can you advise the speeds you are getting as there are different home plug speed ratings
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi pudlcek,
Welcome to the forums Smiley
We can request that Openreach move your master socket, however, they charge quite a bit for the privilege.
I recommend what Jim says, as internal shifts are generally used for when somebody is having building work done on their property (though it would work in your circumstance).
I know that I use a powerline adapter for my bedroom and it works fantastic.
If you want to know more details on physically moving the master socket, feel free to let me know and I'll pop it on a ticket for you.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
pudlcek

Thank you both!
Haven't checked my speed for a while but I was getting 30MB+ - the connection is fast and works really well.
With home plugs do you mean something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av500-500-mbps-nano-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-n20nr
Matty: I had a feeling that will be the case with OpenReach. All the sockets are in place, wires attached but the actual line is only connected to the main socket. The engineer said they can come back and move it as long as they have access to building telephone cabinet. Didn't mention the cost Sad
At the moment there is a cable running across the whole flat. I tried buying a dongle for the PC but the speeds I was getting then were under 1MB (tried Tenda W311M).

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: pudlcek
With home plugs do you mean something like this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/tp-link-av500-500-mbps-nano-powerline-adapter-starter-kit-n20nr

Bingo!
I do think that would be the best way to resolve the issue at more than a fifth of what our suppliers charge for an internal shift.
Matty
pudlcek

Thank you both! Smiley Will check it out
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me know if there's any problems Smiley
pudlcek

Been researching this a bit and it looks very promising.
I do have one more question. With fibre I got a modem and a router.
So can I connect the Adapter A to the modem only and the use the router on the the other end (Adapter B) and the connect the TV & PC to the router.
Or will I have to connect the router to Adapter A and then the PC straight to Adapter B.
Plan is to get both devices connected at the exit points while these adapters only have one output.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It will unfortunately have to be the latter. I stand corrected. My apologies for the misinformation. You should be able to do either. Thanks Jim.
Hope this helps.
Matty
pudlcek

It does! Thank you so much for your help. Much appreciated.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

My apologies. I have corrected the post.

pudlcek

Thank both - will purchase it, connect it, test it and report back here.
pudlcek

Update.
Ordered the following product: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084Y9N3O/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item
Amazon delivered it the next day (without me paying for one day delivery) and it took me about 10 minutes to set it all up - including moving the extension cords, PC desk etc. VERY EASY!
I connected the modem on one end and the router on the other end and it all works great, the speeds are as they were (about 30 mb download, 17 upload).
All in all, a great solution. My only regret is not asking for advice here a bit sooner.
Jan
SharonBrown
Grafter

Smiley Hi pudlcek!  I am pleased to hear that everything worked out well for you and that they were easy to install.  Might even consider these for myself!  Thanks again for the heads up and if you need anything else, don't hesitate to contact us.