cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing BT number - surely not?

failbetter

Losing BT number - surely not?

Just had this e-mail from my 81 year old mother - who I have persuaded not to go with Talk Talk, but to go with plusnet Talk anytime - "I am very concerned as I have just had a letter from B.T saying I will lose my number, wonder if that really is the case, I know Talk Talk said it wasn't and as you know it is the last thing I want to happen'
I told her that plusnet was owned by BT and this won't happen - please re-assure her (and me) that all will be well.
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Losing BT number - surely not?

How far did the talktalk order get? You shouldn't lose your number if you move to us. Could you PM me the username of the account in question so I can have a look for you?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Knowing Talk Talk you could be in bother here! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
failbetter

Hi Matt - I e-mailed you the details you asked for yesterday - did they arrive ok?
Mum read me out the sentence in question last night - and it did sound as if she could lose her number. The talktalk was only an enquiry- it went no further
Thanks
Sara
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Talk Talk salesmen have a reputation for grabbing your line even if it was just an enquiry - if you give them enough details they may just do it irrespective of whether you agreed or signed anything.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
failbetter

But all mum's elderly friends who've been persuaded to switch to Talk Talk and tried to persuade her too - hence the enquiry - HAVE kept their numbers - are you saying Plusnet can't manage the same? And I thought BT owned plusnet. Very worrying (and puzzling)
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If TalkTalk didn't actually get hold of the line then everything will be fine and the number will be retained.
Problems can occur if the transfer to Talk Talk completes (or part of it does), as the number is then classed as a Talk Talk number and not a BT one, so any BT based provider (such as us) would not be able to reclaim that number without requesting it back from Talk Talk.
It doesn't sound like this has happened in this case though (as a letter was received from BT) so it should be just fine. Smiley