cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for full package - phone and fibre...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Looking for full package - phone and fibre...

[Moderator(s) please move if this is not in the correct place...]
Been using Plusnet Unlimited for a few years for my broadband; line rental and calls still with BT.  I’ve also bought both my daughters over to Plusnet for their broadband.  I’m now contemplating moving over to fibre and having my landline, calls and broadband from the same supplier.  I’ve not yet decided whether to stay with Plusnet or move back to BT, I’m comparing prices at the moment.
Now I expected Plusnet to be cheaper but surprisingly whereas with BT I pay £20.38 a month for line rental and Anytime plan giving inclusive UK landline calls, Plusnet want £20.95.
With BT I pay £1.85 a month for BT Answer 1571 and £1.75 for BT Privacy at home – Caller Display.
With Plusnet if I understand correctly 1571 is free whilst caller display is 0.99p per month so they make up for Plusnet’s more expensive line rental and Anytime plan.
I find making comparisons very confusing but I ‘think’ BT’s fibre is cheaper than Plusnet.
Plusnet have given me good service over a period of some years so I’m leaning slightly towards them.  The insurance companies have a retention department where they can offer 'sweeteners' to disuade customers from moving.  Does Plusnet do this I wonder?
Anyone on here have any ideas?
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Looking for full package - phone and fibre...

phone Customer Options for the best deal on
    From landlines: 0800 013 2632
    From mobiles: 0330 123 9197
    8am - 8pm Monday to Friday
    9am - 7pm Saturday
    9am - 6pm Sunday
Note the equivalent to the paid version of 1571 on BT may not be  free on Plusnet as there is a paid option with more features
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Thanks Oldjim. 
I had a word with Plusnet and decided to update to fibre and to bring my calls and landline over as well.  Taking a 24 month contract and paying yearly for the line realised some attractive costings.
First hiccup.  After the orders were placed the contractor cancelled them both - seems they can't accept two orders related to the same line at the same time - reminds me of the guy who couldn't chew and swallow at the same time.  So Plusnet arranged to have fibre installed first.
Second hiccup.  I was given a date and approximate time (morning) when the Engineer would call to install fibre and was told if I wasn't around I could be charged £50 for a wasted visit.  My wife had a hospital appointment but rather than accompanying her and risk incurring the wrath of the Engineer I made alternative arrangements so that I would be at home.  I stayed in all day but no sign of an Engineer.  He did not even bother to contact me to cancel.  Interesting thought: can I charge HIM for non-attendance? 
A second appointment was arranged a week later and two Engineers duly appeared, one did the work, one looked on :).  That was 3 days ago.
I’ve signed up for the 40 meg unlimited and am getting 30 megs at present.  It’s been pretty steady, plus or minus a meg.  I’m a few hundred yards from the nearest fibre cabinet so I was hoping for a better speed.  I’ll leave it for a few days and see what happens.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

>>> I’ve signed up for the 40 meg unlimited and am getting 30 megs at present <<<
Meant to say:-
I’ve signed up for the 40 meg unlimited and am getting 30 megs down and 1.6 megs up at present...
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

What are the speed ranges given by BT at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com for your phone number?
Can you please post the numbers given for FTTC A and B as this will show if you are within the estimates.
Please do not post the whole image as it includes your phone number.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Downstream Line (Mbps)    Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)  Downstream Range(Mbps)    Availability Date
                                                High      Low                           High      Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)               73.4   54                               20   16.5                       --                           Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)              64.8   35.1                             20   10.7                       --                           Available

This morning BT Wholesale's Performance Test says...
Download speed achieved during the test was - 30.6 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.37Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2
Thanks for your help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The information for my connection is also badly adrift - as in wrong for the line length
I talked to an Openreach engineer (fault sort out) and he advised that what was in that link didn't match with what the BT systems said
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm pretty sure that an IP profile of 38.71 means you're pretty much at the maximum sync speed for a 40Mb/s FTTC service, a download speed of 30.6 is a bit lower than I'd really expect for this sync./ IP profile.
What speeds do you get on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html (also try http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/speedtest2.html )
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

thinkbroadband.com:-
30.1 and 1.5
thinkbroadband.com/2:-
30.3 and 1.6
mybroadbandspeed:-
30.2 and 1.6
BTW:-
31 and 1.4
All pretty much the same.
I've only had fibre for ~3 days so I'm just curious at the moment, if it doesn't get a wee bit better I may just become concerned!
Thanks for your help.
w23
Pro

Surprisingly consistent, what doe this give for 'Current line speed': https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

From https://portal.plus.net/m...ction=data_transfer_speed:-
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2015-06-27 17:12:48
Current line speed:
38.6 Mb
NOTE - this was apparently checked on the 27th of June, is there a way that I can update it - or do I  'need'  to update it? 
Thanks again.
w23
Pro

Current Line Speed is correct (usually 0.1 to 0.2 below BT IP profile).
It might be worth doing a single disconnect / reconnect (Via the router GUI ideally) in case you haven't had your PPP session refreshed since the Line Speed was set.
Other than that I'm at a loss as to why your throughput is about 20% down on what it might be capable of.

'Checked on' only applies to when your estimate was generated - no need to update that.
Call me 'w23'
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Just done a disconnect/reconnect via the Router's GUI, a Sagecom 2704N by the way.
BTW reports:-
Download speed achieved during the test was - 30.47 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-38.71 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 38.71 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.68Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 2 Mbps
Incidentally for reasons best known to itself BTW sometimes reports " No Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) services have been found at this address" when I use the Post Code and address.  It appears to work ok when I just inout the telephone number.  A BTW 'funny' maybe?
Thanks again for your continued help.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

"It appears to work ok when I just inout the telephone number"
should of course read:-
"It appears to work ok when I just input the telephone number"
Sorry about that but this keyboard was never very good at spelling...
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Speeds still pretty consistent at ~30 megs down and 1.6 megs up.
Feeling rather energetic yesterday I walked to the BT cabinet that I get my broadband from and it's 600 paces (!) - probably equates to about 500 meters, I expect it could manage 60 - 70 megs, so the 40 package I'm on shouldn't be a problem...
Waiting patiently for the 10 day 'learning period' to be over then I will be chasing PN... Grin