cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long delay to getting a phone line

ilford
Dabbler

Long delay to getting a phone line

I moved into a new house at the weekend. The previous tenants had cable, and there is a BT master socket in the house.
I signed up to Plusnet phone and broadband, and did not realise the installation date they were offering is 14th March  Huh I mis-read it as 14th Feb.
Received the order confirmation text message today and could not believe we'd have to wait 2 months to get an internet connection with Plusnet.
I am tempted to cancel the order and blow £100+ for a BT installation, if it means we don't have to wait 2 months for a connection.
Is there really a 6 week wait for phone line installation?!
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Long delay to getting a phone line

The delay is due to BT Wholesale which is who Plusnet have to order through - if you order from BT Retail they also have to order from BT Wholesale. If you get an earlier date from them BT would be in trouble with OFCOM for giving priority to BT Retail over other suppliers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ilford
Dabbler

The BT retail website says 4-16 working days for a connection (although I haven't gone through to the stage of actually booking a date, as they want to do a credit check first).
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

That will be the standard guide on how long it normally takes.  If Plusnet have been given a date so far outside of that time it will because of issues local to your area (Engineer availabliliy, demand, weather, exchange issues etc...).  As Jelv said if your proceeded with BT Retail and got an earlier date, then there would be serious trouble.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ilford
Dabbler

You are all absolutely correct  Smiley BT retail is also saying 14th March  Roll_eyes
Ellis
Grafter

Delays in providing a line are often caused by a line not being available in the cabinet, the fact that you have a BT socket and a line to it is no guarantee that a line is available.
ilford
Dabbler

Update: The scheduled line installation date was 14th March. However, received a text on Friday asking whether I want it done earlier! So - line installed this morning (5 March).  Smiley
Have raised a ticket with PN but any idea how long broadband activation will take from here?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

depends on BT but normally 5 working days, i.e. you might have it next Friday
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ilford,
I've just tried to check for you but it seems that this your username is linked to an old account.
Jojo Smiley