cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line testing? Scam?

brennanthurston
Grafter

Line testing? Scam?

Had a scam call couple of days ago "line being disconnected unless I call some non-existing number....." (011211947980)

Just now  I had another recorded call....pity, my husband answered the phone and didn't react quickly enough.

Allegedly, I had requested a line testing....when calling 1741 my own number came up......

Then I had another call within minutes that my line had been tested ......hang up, again, it was my own number.....how's that possible?

Any advice?

Thanks

Jule

3 REPLIES 3
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Line testing? Scam?

Not sure about the 1471, but that sounds like a scam to me.

Besides I've had a landline fault recently and I am pretty certain they can test your line from their end if they want to. I can't see them doing it of their accord, only unless you raise a fault.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Not sure how they'd manage to get your own number but it's almost certainly a scam-points to note, have you actually reported a line fault? Plusnet won't test the line unless you ask generally. Second, any follow up on such a thing would be done by a faults agent, so you'd get voicemail from a person not a recording and third the number they gave doesn't really add up-plusnet offices are Sheffield (0114 code) and Leeds (0113). An 0112 code doesn't actually exist.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've said before on another thread, but CLID (and I assume this applies to 1471 too) can be spoofed.

I've had calls with CLID showing 0123456789012.

I don't think you need to be Columbo to realise that is not a real number Tongue