cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line rental

Fireant
Grafter

Line rental

been reading on net and they say line rental will be double in five years well its a rip off now nevermind five years I don't know why we should pay line rental when BT  don't even fix the things when you want it fixing  basically a  bill for a mug . 
can you get fibre only and have line rental with another company .
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Line rental

You can get FTTC from Plusnet and line rental from any telephone supplier that provides a BT Wholesale line (not an LLU line), note that Plusnet charge £2.50/month more if you do not also take their line rental.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fireant
Grafter

so they still coining it in other ways  SHOCKED so that's a waste of time also thanks for your answer
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you are able to, you can get FTTP/H (Premises/Home) and do away with copper altogether.
Might work out a tad dearer though... Cool
Fireant
Grafter

ah right thanks for that Smiley
x47c
Grafter

Quote from: Fireant
been reading on net and they say line rental will be double in five years well its a rip off now nevermind five years I don't know why we should pay line rental when BT  don't even fix the things when you want it fixing  basically a  bill for a mug . 
can you get fibre only and have line rental with another company .

Line rental in the UK is misleading
In reality we should be paying 3 bills
1. Broadband charge for a data service on our line to our BB provider
2. Voice charges for the voice service on the line and for calls on the line to our voice phone provider
3. Rent for the physical line to your address plus maintenance/upgrades on it to BTOR as network operator.
OFCOM have stated that items 3 and 2 are to be combined in the UK and basically called line rental with the call charges extra.
OFOM could equally say that 1 and 3 should be combined and then our BB charges would be huge while the charge for a voice service on the line would be quite small.
I've venture that not many would like that alternative!
This is why people endlessly wanting BB  on a BT line with no line rental component having to be paid have no hope
With respect, you have no idea of the costs of fixing things.
My pole and box at top plus tail down to adjacent underground joint box was replaced some time ago.  Pole purchase cost  is £600 alone, total job I'd say would be around £2500 what with the people doing it, plant, H&S, traffic issues etc.
Now this pole serves 4 houses, So BT's gross line rental income from these houses is 4*£160 per annum = £640.
So that means the cost of this repair has totally eliminated the gross rental to BT from all these properties for 4 years - and probably the net profits to BT for 10 years.
That's just ONE repair!
are you surprised that BT just do the minimum to repair/bodge something and hope it lasts?
Pay more and get it done properly or pay less and get it bodged - your choice consumers.......

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@x47c
Very well reasoned Smiley
Fireant
Grafter

aye you maybe right but end of the day does BT do a good job most of the time its cowboy jobs plus they must be on commission the more they do the more money they get that's why they always in a rush . and don't mention Ofcom they are fing usless anyway its threw them we pay line rental wish I lived in a virgin area would be miles better off .