Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline help

FIXED
coopers
Hooked

Landline help

I have just bought a landline phone which needs to be plugged into the phone socket to work. It doesn't need to be connected to the electricity as its a basic phone. However a few months ago a phone engineer sent by Plusnet when my router broke down put the cable from the router straight into the socket. This is the main phone socket under the stairs and there are two separate "slots" the top one which I understand is the main one and the other slot below which I used to use to connect the old phone and router.  However the engineer connected the router into the top slot. It all works fine and as I work from home don't want to disrupt anything and lose my internet connection, however how do I connect the new landline phone. I have one of those connector things, I know I have to use that as well.  He didn't explain anything to me at all. Just said that I needed to get a new landline phone. Do I use the top slot or the one I used before or does it not matter. Why don't people explain things properly. I have not got the phone yet as I have ordered it online.

Thank you.

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Landline help

@coopers Welcome to the forums. What identification/description is on the socket?

John
coopers
Hooked

It says open reach  at the top  MK3

BT Group Business   BT (logo)

The cable from the router is plugged in here

Below there is another slot and when I had problems with my connection I had to undo the 2 screws and plug the phone in this slot which I believe is the tester socket. 

jab1
Legend

Does it look like this?

images.jpg

If so, the phone goes in the bottom slot.

John
coopers
Hooked

Yes that's it . So I just put the phone in the bottom one and leave the router in the top one.

And I use the ADSL connector thing with the phone?

Sorry for the questions

jab1
Legend

I'm not sure you need the filter with that socket, to be honest, but if you can wait until sometime tomorrow, I will check with a more experienced member of the forum, although if you are lucky, he may spot this topic and reply direct.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what we're here for, to try and help.

John
coopers
Hooked

that's fine, I have not got the phone yet, it should be delivered in a few days. 

Thanks for your help so far. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

If it is the same as the one shown, there is no need for another filter as it is shown, only needed if you have to remove the two screws.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 wrote:

although if you are lucky, he may spot this topic and reply direct.

Did somebody call?  😉

@jab1 is right - no filter needed on the lower socket.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what we're here for, to try and help.

Absolutely!  🙂

EDIT: Cross-posted with @Mustrum 

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

Thanks, @Mustrum , that was my thought, but I always like to check with more knowledgable members when I'm not 100% sure.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

According to your picture, you have a Mk3 filtered faceplate. That means that the phone socket is already filtered and therefore you dont need to use a separate filter to connect the phone. Just plug the phone directly into the socket.

Edit: seems just about everyone can type faster than me 😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Cor, the help here is like buses - they come in threes. 😀

Thanks @198kHz and @MisterW .

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Just noticed this above

only needed if you have to remove the two screws.

You still dont need a filter. The test socket exposed by removing the lower faceplate is the one on the Mk3 faceplate and is still filtered. You only need a filter if you also remove the Mk3 faceplate to expose the 'real' test socket

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Good spot @MisterW 

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
coopers
Hooked

Thank you for all your help. The phone turned up today and it is plugged into the lower socket, phone works and the internet is still going so all fine thank you so much. 

However one final question, at some point in the past someone added this loose socket and hopefully you will see from the photo that the cable comes from this main socket and the extra socket is not used any more. I did use it in the past. Can I either -

A. Cut the cable high up .getting rid of the excess socket and cable that gets in the way of my neat and tidy understairs cupboard.  OR

B. take the excess socket off and just tie the spare cable up

Will I do any damage if I cut anything, now everything is working don't want to tempt fate. . 

Photos attached may help show what I mean. Basically I want to get rid of the spare loose socket to tidy up under the stairs.