cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline fault

Marie
Hooked

Landline fault

I have a problem with my phone line today, it was fine yesterday.
Broadband is ok, but phone has no dial tone, and goes straight to voicemail when I call it from my mobile.
Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Landline fault

You need to make sure the lack of a dial tone does not result from a broadband problem by disconnecting your router from the phone line - use the router's web interface to disconnect from Plusnet first (if possible) then switch off the router. Wait a couple of minutes then unplug it from the phone line.
Assuming you still have no dial tone report this as a phone fault to your telephone service provider (whoever you pay line rental to). If this is Plusnet give the CSC a call on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 (which might be cheaper if you are calling from a mobile).
David
Marie
Hooked

Thanks for your help.
I've tried all of the above with no joy, so I've also called Plusnet support who gave me instructions re connecting a phone to test socket.
Still nothing.
Looks like I may need an engineer visit although that wont be easy as there is no one here during the working week. Fingers crossed it's an exchange fault that will be sorted soon.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hey - there was a problem running the diagnostic test on BT's side which may or may not be caused by the fault itself. It's still waiting for an update from BT, the Faults Team will be in touch as soon as there's any info!
Marie
Hooked

I've come home from work to find that its been fixed  Smiley
No idea what they found but presumably something at the exchange.
Many thanks for all the help guys.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

I had a similar problem on my BT line a few weeks ago, no dial tone or voice, but the Broadband was working.  When the BT OR engineer investigated he found a break in one of the copper wire pair conductors somewhere along the street. Apparently BB only needs one conductor to function.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Apparently BB only needs one conductor to function.

Not according to my rudimentary knowledge!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's not that BB *needs* one wire, it's that BB will *likely* still work with one side of the pair disconnected.  LF is severely attenuated when a circuit is one legged, HF less so...