cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline failure

keystone100

Landline failure

My landline is not working. Nothing coming out of the units.

5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Landline failure

keystone100

I tried that and it made no difference. This is a relatively new master socket, about 4 months old. I had a problem at the exchange two months ago. The number of engineers to visit this house since July last year totals 5. Eventually a fix for for my erratic broadband was solved when I was put on another pole. Now am suffering intermittent landline failures. I cannot speak to Customer services for obvious reasons, but do need to make some contact with Openreach so that they can look in the Exchange, that is assuming they are working.

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @keystone100

Sorry to hear that. I have tested your line and there is loop condition located most likely within your premises. This is usually but not always caused by internal wiring -  it may be faulty cable, microfilter, phone device itself, faulty port, plug or any extensions.

Best way to check if it is internal or external is to remove face plate from master socket and make sure that nothing is connected into test socket itself, we can then test your line again. If results will show that there is fault - It will be external and we will be able to arrange engineer to resolve it for you.

If you are happy to do it please let us know and we will arrange call back to your mobile phone to test this line when nothing will be plugged in.

keystone100

Thanks for testing my line. I crawled on my hands and knees this morning and removed the master socket cover, plugged in the phone and got the same crackling noise on the phone. Reset all back to normal, and still the same problem. The only thing I have done differently yesterday, was to take the phone out into my art shed in the garden. I don't recall doing anything with it other than put it down on a desk. I tried the other phone upstairs this morning and got the same crackling noise. If you think it is internal, then that is the only difference from the day before. If you think I need a new phone then I will order some online. It is not a major emergency because I have the mobile, but I have had 2 emails saying these people had left messages on the phone, which I have not been able to pick up. I am one of those 'at risk', 77 and COPD, so do not want to start alarming my family by not being accessible.

Thanks

John Spooner
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Thanks for fast answer.

Please expect contact from us shortly, we will arrange engineer visit for you.