cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline change to Digital from Analogue

JohnInDorset

Landline change to Digital from Analogue

I understand that analogue landline connections are changing to digital in the next couple of years, so that any phone calls will be reliant on my router being powered on and working.

My main concern is that in the event of a power cut I wont be able to make any emergency calls. We are told that we can always use our mobile phones. Mobile reception where I live in north Dorset is pathetic, so that's not a reliable option for me.

My local council website informs me "Digital landlines will not work during a power cut. If you have no other means of calling the emergency services, your telecoms provider should offer a solution. Make sure your telephone provider is aware if this applies to you". 

So, are Plusnet going to provide me with a "solution", and what is that "soulution" going to be ?Huh

3 REPLIES 3
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 50

Re: Landline change to Digital from Analogue

@JohnInDorset 

I suspect the answer is No because PN are closing their voice services slowly but surely. You can continue to re-cotract on your current service until either the PTSN shutdown happens or PN pull the plug. Either way you should get reasonable notice.

After that you need to go to an independant VOIP provider for a phone service if you want to stay with PN.

Are you on FTTC or FTTP? With FTTC the phone would only work (if you have your own power backup) until the cabinet runs out of power, which in some cases has been reported as little as 30 minutes.

Brian

iannewson
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Unless you have a wired phone then it will be a problem for you now as wireless phones don't work in a power cut.

The solution will be to buy a UPS to power your connection equipment

Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

@JohnInDorset 

To précis @bmc’s answer, Plusnet  have not announced any  plans to provide a digital landline service. They will continue providing an analogue service for the present. As things stand, in the future you will need to make other arrangements to port your phone number to another provider .

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'