cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landline calls between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland

summerside
Dabbler

Landline calls between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland

Are they treated the same as BT ?  "Calls from Northern Ireland to the Republic of Ireland are charged at the Calling Plan UK rates"
I have seen previously on this forum that they are, but I am receiving conflicting information.
If they are treated as International, how would plusnet attract NI customers? (as the north/south agreement has been in place for years)
52 REPLIES 52
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Landline calls between Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland

Hi summerside,
I'm checking this for you because I don't know the answer to that myself! I'll update the thread once I receive confirmation.
summerside
Dabbler

Hi, might there be any update on this? Seems most odd that Plusnet would offer something inherently different to the existing and long term north/south arrangement.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It's surprising that nobody who contributes to this forum lives in Northern Ireland and knows the answer, even if Linn K does not.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sorry for the delay in a response. I've been informed by various member of the team that unfortunately the Republic of Ireland is included in our International destinations for calls so unfortunately they would be charged as an international call, not a UK landline call.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

According to the latest BT Wholesale information (2013) I can find on t'internet https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC4QFjAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fww...
"Calls from Northern Ireland to fixed telephones in the Republic of Ireland will be charged at the appropriate Inland rate. Calls from Northern Ireland to mobile telephones registered in the Republic of Ireland will be charged at the same rate as calls from the rest of the United Kingdom to mobile telephones registered in the Republic of Ireland. Calls to the Channel Islands are charged at National Rate.
"

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

summerside
Dabbler

Hi - thanks everyone. Whilst not doubting Linn, I am receiving conflicting information. BT definitely do treat north/south calls as 'UK calls' and thus included as part of anytime allowance. It seems extremely odd that Plusnet would have changed this.
As ReedRichards has suggested, it would be VERY useful if a Northern Ireland user on this forum could confirm their actual experience? Many thanks!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can't comment on BT's charges , however, I can state that Plusnet operate independently from BT and as such charge differently to them.
Unfortunately I'm unable to replicate this but if a user from Northern Ireland has made a call to the Republic of Ireland I can pull the data from this call and confirm.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I can't comment on BT's charges
In the case of BT Retail, I totally agree, but you should be able to comment on BT Wholesale's classification of the call, since you use them to supply the service.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

summerside
Dabbler

indeed, the wholesale aspect is crucial here.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: MisterW
I can't comment on BT's charges
In the case of BT Retail, I totally agree, but you should be able to comment on BT Wholesale's classification of the call, since you use them to supply the service.

Yep - hence why I stated earlier:
Quote from: Linn
Unfortunately I'm unable to replicate this but if a user from Northern Ireland has made a call to the Republic of Ireland I can pull the data from this call and confirm.

If someone can flag a call up to me I can pull the data from the call which will include Wholesale cost.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry Linn, I didn't appreciate you were offering to pull the Wholesale data from a call, but merely that you were offering to confirm PlusNet's charges from the call.
If you are offering to confirm Wholesales charge classification then that's fine.
BTW , for information Sky also classify calls from NI to the Republic as UK calls.http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEgQFjAHOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sky.com%2Fshop%2F__PDF%2FSkyTalkTariff_Guide_July2014.pdf&ei=WAPEU_quCYmP7AaR74C4BA&usg=AFQjCNHJ1dNQOZi6JcBFGznGtvZnUQtkNw&sig2=IQa5iPZJqJgS8kmG6AZRaQ&bvm=bv.70810081,d.ZGU
. UK calls are to 01, 02, 03 & 0870 numbers only (excludes calls to Channel Islands, indirect access numbers and 070 numbers). Calls from Northern Ireland to Republic of Ireland
geographic numbers are charged at UK rates.

summerside
Dabbler

"Even" Skytreat such calls like BT - the plot thickens! (Thanks MisterW)
Linn, I trust you're unable to interrogate your calls database for any call originating from 028 to a landline destination 00353 for example?  If not, guess we have to wait patiently on a kindly Northern Ireland user!
This is the bit that gets me, politicians in Belfast campaigned long term to instigate the north/south agreement and were ultimately successful. If Plusnet failed to adhere to the same policy, I would either be expecting to see a lot of complaints (once billing came through) from Northern Ireland users or....very few people Northern Ireland adopting Plusnet Home Phone capability. Might be worth raising this specific policy with a Northern Ireland politician, as I suspect they might be interested.
summerside
Dabbler

Hi Linn, I just thought I would add the following - taken from a historical thread. Something somewhere has changed radically, assuming the information given to yourself is accurate.
Might it be possible to ascertain the rationale for any change in policy (assuming there is an actual change in policy) from your Head Office please? I ask this because I intend to refer the matter to NI Executive for Politicians to take up the matter as necessary. Naturally it would be prudent to give your Head Office a heads-up on this lest we inadvertently make a mountain out of a molehill.
-----------------------------
HI Stuart,
We've checked our call processing database and can confirm that calls from Northern Ireland to the republic are classed as UK calls and not international.
Adam.
Adam Walker
Plusnet Digital Care Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
Twitter :: Facebook :: Plusnet Assist
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63