cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kicked out when the phone rings

kjmckay

Kicked out when the phone rings

Hi,
I transferred to Plusnet from TalkTalk some time ago - but have not got around to doing anything officially about this problem - but as I have found this site here goes....
Every time someone phones my land-line when I am on the internet, I lose my internet connection and when I try to get back in I can't without refreshing the screen a dozen times (which usually does not work) or I have to reboot the computer.
Also, I can't talk on the phone when I am on the internet as there is so much background noise/crackling.
Both these problems kind of defeat the point of Broadband.
Any ideas? I do use the socket filters.
Thanks
Karen
5 REPLIES 5
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Kicked out when the phone rings

Hey there,
It may be that one of the filters are faulty, what i would do is disconnect all equipment, apart from the router and a phone, into the main socket.
If the problem still happens, swap the filter over...
Another thing you could try, is plugging the phone directly into the socket, without the broadband or filters plugged in, to see if the noise is still there?
It's just a case of process of elimination when it comes to noisy lines and broadband.
Cheers,
Matt
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Karen,
It is almost a certainty that you have an unfiltered Phone or SkyBox or FAX or Alarm Autodialler on your line. Ckeck ALL of your Telephone outlets for Microfilters and if all are present, try disconnecting the devices until the fault goes away. This would indicate a faulty Filter.
Welcom to the Forum
R
kjmckay

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a go.
Karen
kjmckay

Hi Wheel_nut
A different filter on the phone did the trick - solved both problems!!
Thanks very much.
Karen
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Karen,
That makes you an expert! Look forward to seeing you here again.
p.s. Was it a BT Branded Microfilter by any chance? I had one of those fail on my daughter's Line, bringing the Phone and Broadband down.