cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping the phone number of the house I'm moving to?

mojo_jojo

Keeping the phone number of the house I'm moving to?

I'm selling my house soon but not buying anywhere just yet, so will be moving into my mum's house for a few months. Ideally I want to mothball my plusnet account and recover it when I move out, but from talking to one of the advisors on the phone and from a post I found elsewhere on the forums it seems this is not possible.

An alternative solution would be to move my account to my mum's house. This is fine as long as we can keep her landline number (i.e. phone number transfers to my account, my account transfers to her house => phone number stays on the same house). I spoke to an advisor on the phone he said this is not guaranteed to be possible, even though we are both on Plusnet. Why not? What conditions would stop us from keeping the number?

2 REPLIES 2
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Keeping the phone number of the house I'm moving to?

@mojo_jojo wrote:

An alternative solution would be to move my account to my mum's house. This is fine as long as we can keep her landline number (i.e. phone number transfers to my account, my account transfers to her house => phone number stays on the same house). I spoke to an advisor on the phone he said this is not guaranteed to be possible, even though we are both on Plusnet. Why not? What conditions would stop us from keeping the number?

You're over complicating matters and increasing the risk of things going awry IMO

Personally I would port the number over to a VOIP provider and close your account whilst you move into your Mum's.

Then once you're moved into a new place either rejoin Plusnet as new customer or another ISP, then once your connection is up and running either request  the number be ported back from the VOIP provider, or just continue to use VOIP frankly...

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Re: Keeping the phone number of the house I'm moving to?

Hi mojo_jojo@

I'm afraid we can't guarantee any number during a move or sign up. We request the telephone number but issues can be encountered during fulfilment. Your mother would need to be out of contract to not incur early termination fees.

An alternative would be to have a separate line installed of which we can do for free once every 6 months as part of the House Move contract that would need to be agreed. This would be a way to bypass your mother incurring any early termination fees.

If you have any further queries please feel free to get back in touch as we are more than happy to help.

Thank you.