cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping phone number

cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

Keeping phone number

We're looking to switch to Plusnet but when going through an order it says we won't be able to keep our number. I suspect this is because it's a new number (9 months old) and provided by Virgin through their VoIP service.

Can anyone advise of there's a way of retaining the number?
26 REPLIES 26
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Keeping phone number

Hi there. Thanks for your interest in Plusnet and welcome to our community forums.

Who’s the rangeholder/operator of your number when you type it in here: https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Also if you can send me a PM with your number and address I’ll be happy to check this when I’m back in the office on Monday and find out if we can import it to the BT network we use.

Cheers
Anoush
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@cfcmurdoch wrote:
I suspect this is because it's a new number (9 months old) and provided by Virgin through their VoIP service.

Am I right assuming that you're wanting the Plusnet service to be a 'normal' landline - not VOIP?

If so, the 'newness' shouldn't be a problem, but being a VOIP may be.

What are the first five digits of your current number?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

Operator is Virgin Media. We only got VoIP as Virgin newly cabled the area and didn't put in phones (new thing). We're not fussed whether it's a proper landline or VoIP.

Will PM you our details Anoush.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for your details @cfcmurdoch

Initial checks indicate your number can be imported.

We should know definitively when the order is placed and accepted by Openreach.

If you would like to go ahead, I'd recommend creating an account at www.plus.net making sure you input your telephone number in the first stage - the Broadband Availability Checker, as our automated system uses this information when putting the order through to our suppliers.

Feel free to send me another PM with your username once you've signed up and I'll keep an eye on things to make sure they're on track.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

Apologies for resurrecting this. I've finally decided to bite the bullet and chuck Virgin. They've put their prices up (again) and it's getting silly.

I'm keen to go with Plusnet but the chat advisor told me I couldn't take my number with me. When going through the online order it also advises a new number will be set up. My understanding is that any number can be passed between providers but it seems Plusnet is no longer doing this. I've found NowTV Broadband are willing to migrate the number but I'd rather go with Plusnet as Now seem to have flakey customer care.

Can anyone advise if there's a way round this?

AishaK
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 12

Hi @cfcmurdoch,

Sorry to see we're advising we need to change your telephone number during the signup process. While I'm unsure as to why this is happening for you, to resolve this I'd recommend finishing the signup journey letting us know over here as soon as you've completed it.

Essentially we can then keep an eye on it and make sure that the order is placed using your telephone number.

That said, we can't guarantee that we can successfully import your number but the odds are in your favour as initial checks are indicating it's possible.

Thank you,

Aisha

cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

Thanks Aisha. I'll speak to my wife and see if she's happy to risk losing the number (it's a really good one!).
AishaK
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 12

No problem. Always here to help!

Just to let you know, we should find out if we can keep the number once the order is placed and accepted by our suppliers, which should be within a few days of placing the order.

Let us know if you need any help going forward.

Best wishes,

Aisha

cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

Hi

That's me signed up. Am I able to pass over my details so you can check the number? May be a bit early as literally just completed it 10 minutes ago!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for signing up and welcome aboard!

I've found your account and gone ahead to place the order.

You'll receive an email shortly about this. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

We're getting there. Broadband is set up, number is ported but isn't receiving incoming calls. Engineer coming on Thursday to investigate. Hoping this won't cost me £65 after paying £50 for the install today. I'm no phone engineer but the chap switched the master socket and said all was good so I'm assuming they've maybe missed a cable at the exchange. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @cfcmurdoch 

Sorry it's taking so long. 

Could you please let us know what happens during this next engineer visit? 

Please accept my apologies, and thank you for the patience and understanding you have shown whilst we have been working on this issue.  

Thanks,

MoR

cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

Third engineer now been and gone. I must have the newest equipment on the OpenReach network as everything has been replaced. Still unable to receive phone calls after a week and a half and 3 days leave wasted. Everyone saying it's not them. It's definitely not OpenReach as I saw all the checks and the guy sounded pretty fed up having wasted 3 hours. Really regretting moving. Wife ended up turning up to a cancelled dental appointment on Tuesday as the dentist couldn't get in touch. Not amused.

Now looking to see if I can cancel. In queue to customer services (third or fourth call in a week).
cfcmurdoch
Dabbler

20 mins on hold to customer care then another 20 to tech support. Turns out it may be a system issue at Plusnet and I'll have to wait 3-5 days for it to be resolved. Can't cancel without incurring a fee as Plusnet haven't exhausted all the options. So in the meantime that'll be 2 weeks without a working phone line, 3 days of leave wasted and hours on the phone to Plusnet.

I'm convinced this is a breach of contract so should be grounds for a fee free cancellation. Going to contact the ombudsman.