Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping phone line with Plusnet after cancelling broadband

FIXED
bin
Aspiring Pro

Keeping phone line with Plusnet after cancelling broadband

Currently I have my phone line and BB with PlusNet.

When I cancel my BB (soon I hope) will I still be able to keep the phone line with PN as it is now?

10 REPLIES 10
verydisgruntled
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Re: Keeping phone line with Plusnet after cancelling broadband

You can keep your phone line with Plusnet and move your Broadband to anyone else.

You don't have to have your phone line and broadband with the same provider, although if you do you can normally get a bundled deal - but make sure it is a proper deal and not just smoke and mirrors.

You can also move your home number to any other phone line provider if you are not moving house.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

I’m afraid we don’t offer any phone only packages. Sad sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Anoush
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Gandalf

So when did this change

It has always been the case that the phone component could be retained if the broadband was cancelled even though you couldn't sign up for a phone only package

@bin

If you only want a phone line I suggest considering https://pulse8broadband.co.uk/line-rental - select home £13 and the call charges are really cheap

bin
Aspiring Pro

Well, this is all very confusing - I wonder if anyone in PN can give a definitive answer as it does seem opinion is divided Smiley

This is all in advance of next Feb so I have a bit of time.........

bin
Aspiring Pro

This is from the Phone T&C https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/?utm_source=customer-res&utm_medium=email-triggered&utm_conten...

10. Moving home

10.1. If you only have your phone service with us, you can move your service during your minimum term without entering into a new agreement and a home move fee won't be payable. If you have other services (for example broadband) with us you'll have to pay the home moves fee or enter into a new agreement with a new minimum term for your phone service as well.

This seems to imply that one can have phone only without broadband.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@bin wrote:

This seems to imply that one can have phone only without broadband.

Yes, but only if you initially had both and then cancel/migrate the broadband.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That wasn't what Gandalf said above and we are still waiting for clarification

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Sorry about the delayed response here, I've been away for the bank holiday. Whilst a phone only account isn't something we offer, it is technically possible and on this occasion I'll be happy to arrange that.

Once your broadband service migrates away/is ceased we'll need to keep an eye on things to make sure your account doesn't close down completely. Can you let me know if/when you'd like to go ahead?

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You'd have to be making a huge number of calls that were free within a call package for Plusnet phone to be cheaper than Pulse8. Both Plusnet and Pulse8 use BT Wholesale to provide the service so there is no technical difference. The difference is that Pulse8 don't don't charge extortionate rates for the phone to cross subsidise under priced broadband so that they can compete with Sky and TalkTalk.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
verydisgruntled
Hooked
Fixes: 1

The choice of options really comes down to what you actually want.  Phone line only, phone line with a call package etc...

You could stay with a PlusNet phone line only - it can be arranged, although you need to insist upon it.

You could move to BT or any other third party phone provider (although the vast majority would want you to bundle in broadband as well). Your existing number can be transferred to most providers.

Or you can choose not to pay monthly line rental and buy a GSM terminal with an external antenna (eBay about £45) this plugs into your home phone wiring (normally between the house wiring and the master socket). Then buy a prepaid or pay monthly SIM - GiffGaff or Tesco etc.  Depending on the number of calls your monthly cost could be as low as £5 every 3-6 months or £20 for unlimited calls. The only downside is you will lose your existing landline number and have a mobile number for the house.

I have now installed a unit at my parents place (almost a dead zone for mobiles, but mount the antenna above the TV aerial on the roof and it works). Now I can call them when the landline fails (which is often). Also when they call a mobile it uses the GSM unit (and calls bundle) instead of the landline.

Win/Win.