cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping old number

nogbad1
Hooked

Keeping old number

Hello, I am a new customer awaiting phone connection and was hoping if someone could answer this question for me:
Will I be allocated a new telephone number or will I automatically be assigned my current old BT number?  I ask this as I do not wish to keep the old number as I am continually rung up by people looking for a business I have no knowledge of.
Thanks for any help in advance.
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Keeping old number

normally the number transfers
I don't know what the procedure is for asking for a change when you join
nogbad1
Hooked

Thank you Oldjim.
Seems I will have to wait for a staff member to reply.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nogbad1,
Welcome to the Forums.
I've had a look at your account and your phone service is due to be transferred to Plusnet in the next 10-12 days (you'll receive email confirming the date soon). The type of order that's going to be placed will transfer your number on the line as well and unfortunately there isn't a way around this.
The only thing I'd suggest doing is google your phone number and based on my findings it's 1 company that is listed on 3 web pages - 1 can be edited by the public and the other two I'd suggest writing in to them to advise that this number needs to be removed/amended as it's your personal home phone number and you have no connection to the company it's listed under. Once they're removed hopefully you'll stop receiving these calls!
Hope this helps.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So is there a procedure if you want to change your existing telephone number?  I can envisage unpleasant circumstances where people would wish to do this. 
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I think anyone can change their number, but it cost £ 35.85 ( if my memory is correct)
Edit: my memory is not correct  Cheesy it's £ 36.86 , as AndyH has provided it below Smiley
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

@  I.T.Works - Close!
Re-number £36.63

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, Mike's right. The number can be changed once it's transferred over to us at a cost.
So is there a procedure if you want to change your existing telephone number?

There is a procedure when initially placing the order for taking over lines where the customer does not know the phone number on the line/belonged to previous tenant etc. - you can have a read through the different types of orders that we place here: http://community.plus.net/library/provisioning/signing-up-to-plusnet/
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you cancel the order and start a new one - seems the obvious solution
Alternatively the OP could do the same
AndyH
Grafter

It would work out more expensive though (new line fee/cancel broadband fee).
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If that was an option, Oldjim then I would've been the first one to suggest it Smiley
In this case the broadband has already migrated over with a MAC so if we take over the line and change the number in the process it'll kick the broadband off the line.
nogbad1
Hooked

OK, thanks for responses.
So to cut to the chase the answer is, yes you can have a new number if you pay £36.00
Not very impressed to say the least.
As for googling and attempting to change internet company listings even at best this would be a minor improvement as the biggest problem we have with the number is a stream of what we assume are debt collecting agencies trying to find a "Mrs Langford".  Again I assume this name has been sold onto cold collection agencies all over the country and beyond as most of these calls appear to be from the Indian sub-continent!
This is so bad we do not even have a landline connected any more and was one of the reasons for switching provider
AndyH
Grafter

I would escalate things.
Contact the police and get a crime reference number for the nuisance calls (I can assume as they are debt collectors, some can be unpleasant).
I think BT will then provide you with a new number free of charge - but whether this will mess up the migration, I'm not too sure.
Edit: Looking at the BT forums, it looks like people have been given a newly allocated number free of charge if they continue to get nuisance calls after making every effort to change the internet listings etc. There was one person who was allocated a number that used to belong to a Chinese takeaway and he had to disconnect the phone because it was ringing non-stop.
Edit 2: Do as Linn advises and don't speak to BT!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nogbad1,
Did you inform us that you wanted to do this when you signed up? - I can't see anything on the account mentioning that you phoned us to request that the number is changed when we transfer your over.
I wouldn't advise asking BT to change your number as the order to transfer your existing number is already in place, if BT were to renumber the line they'd have to cancel our order to transfer the line. If you are provided a crime reference number then do let us know and we can investigate further into that.