Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping/losing my phone number

FIXED
Pluscom4
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Keeping/losing my phone number

I am trying to recover my phone number which was not transfered automatically. I've spoken to customer services and there is an active ticket, but it doesn't seem to be progressing. It's a month since my previous provider deactivated my number and two weeks since an action was booked by customer services to recover the number I've had for 34 years (estimated to take 48 hours). I don't mind how long it takes, but worry it has slipped through the net..
8 REPLIES 8
Pluscom4
Hooked

Re: Keeping/losing my phone number

Fix
Received a private response after posting here and issue resolved within 24 hours.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Pluscom4 and welcome to our community forums.

It looks like I picked this up via your account a couple of days ago while working what we call 'tickets' in a certain workflow. I'm sorry again for the length of time it's taken to get your number back you've had for so long, but I'm happy to see you have now. Let me know if there are further issues or anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gkb

Is that right that it only takes 48 hours to get a phone number back? I am in the position where my number was taken away, but plusnet told me on the phone that the number once taken goes into quarantine where no one  can touch it for two weeks! I won’t know whether plusnet have been successful in retrieving it until I try phoning myself with it in ten days time to see .

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

@gkb It depends on the status of the number. If the number was first made on the BT network, but the last provider had the number on their own network (Commonly Sky and TalkTalk) and the number is ceased, then it takes 14 days before the number is returned to BT.

Type your full number in the ‘partial number to lookup’ box here https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm and check the ‘Operator’ as that’ll tell you which provider owns the number/who’s network it was made on. 

Pluscom4
Hooked

Hi, @gkb

What @Thrall said in reply to you was true of my number - a BT number.

Yes, I was told 48 hours from a given date, but it took a further two weeks. Altogether my number was deactivated for about a month.

gkb

Same thing for me.I notified plusnet on day 1 of the new service. They said they would deal with it. I had an email from them after 14 days (with no further prompt from me) saying the old number should be reinstated after another 10 days - the minimum possible after their placing the order. Plusnet said they would notify me when the change was in effect. The predicted date has come and gone, I guess the ticket is still open. It has now been 26 days in total and nothing.  It has been a nightmare as my wife cares for three 90+ year olds in the area, there is no way one can explain to them that our number doesn’t work for now, and we darent confuse them by giving them the one assigned. When lockdown eases sufficiently  I will have to deal with my private students as I work from home: not looking forward to that!

Pluscom4
Hooked

Hi gkb,

Have you checked for an open ticket in your online account? If there is one, you could try updating it, if there isn't, then perhaps start a new topic/thread here to get the attention of staff - here's a another similar thread to look at..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Changing-landline-number/td-p/1800317

gkb

Thank you Pluscom I didn’t know about the ticket aspect in my account. I have checked and there is an open ticket. I was supposed to get my old number back on the 16/4; there is an update on the 17/4 saying - in effect - that they will be touch in due course (no date given). I guess it is good news that there is an open ticket! But I shall be on the telephone to plusnet tomorrow as I am getting fed up with the kicking I am getting at home for not being able to ‘sort this out with them’. 
I read your link to another thread, I understand his frustration completely as I am old - and getting older.

as I say, I think the phone will be a better bet than learning how to start a new thread.

thank you again