cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Virgin Media phone number

csiman

Keeping Virgin Media phone number

Hi,

I am thinking of switching to plusnet from virgin media but the advisor on the chat line stated I would lose my telephone number as you cannot port it from VM to plusnet as their systems cant handle this request. I have successfully switched from Sky to VM and vice versa and from BT to VM and vice versa and have always kept the same telno.

Older threads from 2018 state this is possible but the advisor wasn't having it at all. Anyone know if you can or not? They also say I need a new line installed at a cost of £49.99 even though I have an openreach line that was installed in 2017 with the latest master socket 5C

I cant lose my telno so it appears I can never join plusnet which is a shame.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
csiman

Re: Keeping Virgin Media phone number

Chat Transcript:-

[CSA Removed]
Hi there, how may I assist you with your PlusNet order today?

[CSA Removed]
Hello Deke

Deke : Hi, currently with virgin media and thinking of joining you but it states I can't keep my current telno and I need a line installed. I already have a bt line which was installed by openreach 2 years ago. So you should be able to use that line and port my virgin number over.
Deke : But there isn't anywhere to do this when signing up so it is trying to charge me £49.99 line installation fee
[CSA Removed]
Unfortunately the Virgin network is not compatible, so we cannot port the number over

Deke : Switched to bt from virgin and they did it fine. Your forums are full of people saying it's been done for them but if you say it isn't possible, then I'll have to go to sky as they can port from virgin
[CSA Removed]
Yes it's the other way round that is a problem

[CSA Removed] Sorry about that, unfortunately we can only go by what our system advises us
Deke : You aren't reading what I have written at all.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 323

I wonder what Ofcom has to say about this. I thought that there is now a statutory due on companies to allow numbers to be ported. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/switching/switching-landline

As your BT incoming cable will need to be reconnected, this is classed as a new line and is chargeable.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 129

Hi @csiman, thanks for getting in touch on our Forums.

So long as the number (you're wanting to keep) is active at the address that you're wanting us to take over, you should usually be able to retain this however, if the sign up journey says it's not possible then this may well be the case. If you could PM me with some further details (landline number and full address) I'd be happy to double check this for you.

In relation to the new line install, though you may have an internal socket it's possible that the external line you had has now been reused and rerouted to be used for someone else, or maybe the suppliers system isn't seeing a stopped line to the address in which case an order can't be placed to restart the line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
csiman

Thanks - thats makes sense re installation charges

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 129

Hi @csiman, I've picked up your PM and responded to this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
ThePillenwerfer
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I joined PlusNet from VM earlier this year and had to have a new number.  This didn't bother me but did come as a bit of a surprise.

I also had to pay an installation charge as my BT line had been cut off at the other end.  Given how much money I'm saving every month this was worth paying.