Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Virgin Media phone number

FIXED
CRTC
Grafter

Keeping Virgin Media phone number

Just wanted to check the process for transferring my Virgin Media services phone number over to plusNET.

I cancelled Virgin Media today but adviser told me number transfer needs to be requested by plusNET.

I signed up on 9 October, and installation booked for 15 October but I may need that to be moved if that is possible?  Can I do that through Customer Services or does a new order need to be made?

6 REPLIES 6
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Keeping Virgin Media phone number

Too late now, but when transferring NEVER advise existing supplier. Leave new supplier to sort transfer.
I'd doubt you can transfer a Virgin number to a service run on BT infrastructure.
If you're talking mobile service, same applies re not contacting existing supplier.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gel

When switching to or from Virgin Media (or any other cable or pure FTTP contract), you cannot use the Gaining ISP Switch Led mechanism. You must contact them and advise you are leaving.

Which process you follow largely depends on what provider you're switching to and from and the type of connection you have or are looking to change to.  In particular, if you are switching to or from a cable provider such as Virgin Media, you will need to follow the 'cease and re-provide' process.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/switchi...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
CRTC
Grafter

Just found this old thread:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Home-Phone/Porting-landline-number-from-Virgin-to-PlusNet/td-p/1400016

Seems to be possible subject to the line being active when plusnet install the new line.  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

Firstly welcome to our community forums.

You're right in saying that your telephone number would need to remain active for us to be able to port the number to the BT network we use.

It doesn't look like our automated system has put the order through to our suppliers yet and has instead essentially moved your account into a queue for manual intervention, so I've placed your order now requesting to import your number.

We should receive an update within the next 4 working days as we'll need to allow time for Virgin Media to accept the port.

I've chosen the appointment to take place on the 15th October as you've requested, but we can delay it if needed.

Feel free to let us know if you have any further queries.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
CRTC
Grafter

Thanks - I think that date would involve me paying a month's line rental to Virgin to keep it active.

Any chance the appointment can be moved to the week before or earlier?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

I've requested the appointment date to be brought forward to the 26th. I'll confirm this for you soon.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet