cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep same number

Tommot22

Keep same number

Yesterday I signed up to Plusnet to switch over from TalkTalk as my contract with them is about to end. Should be a simple switching service however I received an email a few hours after informing me of my ‘new telephone number’, I want to keep my old number and if this cannot be done then I want to cancel the order and go with a different supplier than can keep the same number as I know other companies offer this option. I have tried calling your customer services and was hung up on several times, live chat is not available and no one is replying on Facebook so it appears this is the only way to contact you. Please respond to let me know if I can keep the same number if not then please cancel the order.
6 REPLIES 6
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Keep same number

derekcox1

I have a similar problem. I have been a Plusnet customer for 15 years. I want to change my phone deal from UK and International anytime. Instead I want to have anytime UK to both landlines and mobiles from my landline phone. I have to have a new contract to do this which may mean my telephone number could change. I cannot understand why and it is worrying me with all my printed documentation which bears my current phone number and all the work informing my contacts.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Welcome to the forum.  🙂

@derekcox1 wrote:

I have to have a new contract to do this which may mean my telephone number could change.

If you change your phone plan via the Member Centre, it appears that you start a new contract, but this is just a quirk of the infamous Plusnet billing system.

Your broadband contract is not affected or renewed, and you're only tied in to the phone plan for a month. As you're not changing supplier, there's no chance of your number being changed.

The plan takes effect on your next billing date.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
derekcox1

Thank you 198kHz for giving me some hope that I will retain my old telephone number. In desperation I searched Ofcom and found new rules about phone number portability. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/112692/Consolidated-General-Conditions.pdf On page 18 it is a rule that changing ISP entitles you to keep your phone number. In my case I am not even changing ISP.

CJT-80
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@Tommot22 

Good Morning,

How did you complete your signup to PlusNet?  Phone/Online?

If it was Online was there an option to "keep existing number"?

Kind Regards,

CJT
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@derekcox1 wrote:

In my case I am not even changing ISP.

Precisely so. You can therefore re-contract your broadband, change your call plan, in fact do anything at all regarding your service from Plusnet - your phone number won't change usless you specifically request it.

And as mentioned previously, despite what the system says wjhen requesting a change of call plan, it does not affect your broadband contract, and any discounts you may have won't change.

The only time one may encounter re-numbering problems is when changing ISP.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)