cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep my oldPhone Number

theorganiser

Keep my oldPhone Number

I am in the middle of leaving Talktalk and joining Plus Net. My problem is that plus net are telling me that I can't take my old number with me. This number has been in usu for over 30 years at my address. How do i keep my old number  Cry
11 REPLIES 11
godsell4
Rising Star

Re: Keep my oldPhone Number

Are you moving house?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

My suspicion is that TalkTalk are incorrectly refusing to release the number in an attempt to blackmail you to stay with them - it's just the sort of thing they do! Angry
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Its not true  Shocked
I did exactly that, left TalkTalk and joined PN and brought our phone number with us. An we have had the same number for 30 years  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We can try and port the number anyway, but there's a few factors out of our control I'm afraid - not least of which is that the losing provider (in this case TalkTalk) don't have to release the number if they don't want to. I'll add a note to your ticket requesting that we try the number port anyway, but I'm afraid there's nothing guaranteed.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Matt,
Isn't there a difference between a number which was allocated from a block belonging to TalkTalk and a number someone already had when they moved to TalkTalk? The former I think they can refuse to release but the latter they can't. If the user has had the number for 30 years it's before TalkTalk existed and so the number surely belongs to the user not TalkTalk. This might be a case where TalkTalk need a nudge from OFCOM.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jelv,
I'm sure there is, but while this does seem to be a number that was with BT before being moved to TalkTalk the automated check came back saying that the number couldn't be retained. I'll try and find out the reasons for this but I'm not sure that'll be possible, however I am sure that we can attempt to retain the number in spite of what it says. As I said above though, there's no guarantees.
itsme
Grafter

Is it just a case the system see it as a LLU line and assume the number can't be retained? i.e there's no PUK for landline lines.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not sure to be honest, usually there's no problem with retaining LLU numbers (though of course there's exceptions).
Ellis
Grafter

I also moved from TalkTalk to Plus Net with no problems.
In these days of digital systems, any number can be moved anywhere. BT can transfer a number "out of area" for a charge. I have a Skype Account and although I live near Cambridge I can have a London number (it used to  cost £30 per year).
itsme
Grafter

Not true, fixed line numbers will stay with the exchange. This is not limited to the STD code but also include numbers associated with a particular exchange. Which mean BT will not allow numbers with the same STD code to be moved between different exchanges.
Skye and VoIP are virtual numbers and these will use Number Translation Services and will also be local exchange based as with my Voip number others dialling it living in the same STD area can dial it as a local number.
What I don't know is when a number is ported from BT to a LLU supplier and the user some time later move to a different exchange whether they can keep the number.
Ellis
Grafter

If that is the case, how do you explain that our local "New Town" has residential numbers on the local exchange while many businesses have numbers on a distant exchange (not even in the same group). I worked on exchange planning for 10 years, planning the digital changeover for our area. It is possible, though whether they will do it and how much they would charge is another matter.