cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just about to blow my top!!

jimhay

Just about to blow my top!!

To say I'm fed up with Plusnet at the moment is putting it mildly and I'm hoping that somebody with some sense at Plusnet picks this up.
Sometime in June, can't remember the exact date, my telephone line became very noisy and we could neither make or receive calls, there was very heavy rain at the time.
Plugging a corded phone into my master socket brought the dial tone back but the line was still very noisy, reported to Plusnet and did an online test through the Plusnet site which reported that there was fault on the line and they would report it to BT.
A visit from BT was arranged but before he came, the line became clear again, of course when he came and did various tests no fault could be found.
About a week later, exactly the same thing happened, line became very noisy and couldn't make or receive calls, the common demonitor being 'Rain'.
Reported back again to Plusnet, having to go through the same story with the chat line people, apparently it was again referred back to BT for investigation and another engineer visit.
Without listing everything here, up to now this has happened on 4 occasions over the last 5/6 weeks, I've had 3 BT engineers here who can't find a fault, I once again experienced the same thing last week and was assured by Plunet that it was with their faults team and that somebody would get back in touch with me, of course, nobody has.
This morning, heavy rain again, no dial tone and people trying to ring me report a permanently engaged message, strangely today though, my broadband is fine, usually it gets knocked for six speed wise.
Yet another BT visit has been arranged for next week and of course unless it's raining when he comes, I doubt he will find a fault as usual.
I am fully aware that the problem lies with Openreach but it is absolutely pointless them coming  out to continually tell me that there is no problem when it is quite clear to me that there is every time it rains.

Could somebody at Plusnet please apply some sort of pressure on BT to get this sorted out once and for all, as per subject line ' I'm about to blow my Top'
Jim

4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Just about to blow my top!!

Well how disappointing that no-one from Plusnet CRT has picked this up. Plusnet should be making sure that Openreach are made aware that this is an Intermittent fault as these days the poor engineers are virtually timed by the minute and aren't allocated time to go investigating too much if the tests run at the time indicate No Fault Found. I assume you have an Open Fault ticket at present - log into the member centre and add a comment to the ticket to ensure Plusnet advise OR that it is an intermittent problem and 4 engineers have attended previously.
Unfortunately even if Plusnet put that in the notes to OR, they don't always get to the engineer. You'd be best advised to tell the engineer yourself and the whole history. I'm afraid 4 visits is nothing compared to some I've seen with intermittents faults, sadly you might need to take a chill pill Sad
mlmclaren
Grafter

Sad Undecided Crazy
davedeering
Grafter

You and me both Anotherone, I'm Jim Hay's next door neighbour and it was me who recommended Plusnet to Jim and I've been closely monitoring his problems since it all started, at this point I have to say, I haven't had any problem at all with either my phone or broadband, both our lines come off the same pole.
Just to bring this all up to date, an Openreach visit had been arranged for today, however the engineer rang this morning prior to the scheduled visit to say that no fault could be detected and they would not be coming out, he was told that the fault was intermittent, as were all the previous engineers, his suggestion was that next time it happens, Jim should ask Plusnet to arrange a visit for that day whilst the fault is occurring, I ask you.
When today's engineer was asked why the phone line was dead the other day, he offered no explanation of what might have caused it as there was no fault detected at the moment, well there wouldn't be as within a few hours of Jim posting the other day, his line came back up and is working normally again, no noise, no nothing.
I too, am very disappointed that nobody at Plusnet seems to bothered that a customer is experiencing this problem, I was hoping that somebody there would investigate further, it would seem not, I fancy that a strongly worded letter might just be winging it's way to Plusnet within the next day or two.
Dave
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Good luck with the letter. Not that I'm going to make excuses for Plusnet, some staff are on holiday, but I still don't see why this hasn't has a courtesy post from one of the CRT at least. This is unfortunately, as you appreciate, an OpenReach issue and the way that they are forcing their staff to operate at present. But some engineers I fancy use the initial NFF as an excuse not to bother doing anything else.
Try this one on an engineer next time you have contact and they say they aren't coming because their remote test shows No Fault  Found -
Ask them was the NFF purely using the exchange test-head?
If the answer was yes, then tell them that they ought to know that the test head cannot do TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) tests to show up any potential bad connections and perhaps they'd care to come and do the tests properly from the premises using their JDSU and do some TDR tests.
If the answer was no, then ask if they did remote TDR tests from the exchange end. Now the problem with that is if you are on a fairly long line the result from the distant end get less accurate. Most of these type of intermittent faults tend to be in drop-wires and other o/h cables.
Are you overhead drop-wires, any other overhead line back to the Cab etc? Does it pass through any trees? Does this happen when windy or just when raining?
What sort of attenuation do you have looking at the modem/router stats? That will give an idea of line length - perhaps also compare yours with his, they should be virtually identical. Have Plusnet managed to do a Copper Line Test (CLT) whilst the fault was present? If so, what was the test outcome?
If you post anything from tickets, as I expect you know, redact any agents' names.