cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumping Ship..

flannel

Jumping Ship..

Hiya,
I'm in a Market1 area and have got a PN Extra BB with Homephone package .
It's a few days to "End of (1yr) Contract" and, after two timeconsuming mis-billing experiences, I'm looking around for alternatives to PN.
Anyone have current knowledge?
Do I need to look for another phone rental provider as well as BB? Or can I leave, say, the phone with PN and just move the BB initially?
16 REPLIES 16
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Jumping Ship..

after two timeconsuming mis-billing experiences, I'm looking around for alternatives to PN.

When did these happen roughly? I'd like to look at what happened in detail, we can't afford to put customers through things like that which make them feel like they need to find another provider...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
flannel

November2010 and July-August2011.
-----------
Anyone have current knowledge of alternatives?
Do I need to look for another phone rental provider as well as BB (or can I leave, say, the phone with PN and just initially move the BB)?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: flannel
Do I need to look for another phone rental provider as well as BB (or can I leave, say, the phone with PN and just initially move the BB)?

No but you can do the opposite, move your phone and keep the BB.
Alternatives I looked at were the PO's BB & phone package and TT. Depends on your usage of BB & phone habits really.
flannel

Ta, Mr Biker.  Wink
So,
it's move Phone only (leaving BB with PN) *or* BB&Phone together (but I guess they could end up with different suppliers).
I've also seen Primus who seem to offer Calls&Phone&("unlimited")BB for £26.06 while the PO does Calls&Phone&("unlimited")BB for £26.05!
Anyone compared the two in more detail?
And is it *definite* that pn requires an active BB account with any PN phoneline service?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

From all that I have read you cannot have a PN phone connection WITHOUT a PN BB connection. But I am sure someone from CS will add to this.
Have a look on http://Moneysavingexpert.com in the forums there for more on what is available/good/bad.
As I said when I last looked at moving my package I was looking seriously at the PO's offering on the TBB forums they got quite good reviews as well. The only down side I saw was the length of the contract. (12 months)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

And is it *definite* that pn requires an active BB account with any PN phoneline service?

Yes, that is usually the case. I'd advise having a word with our customer options team though...  http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/using/grass_is_greener.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In the past we have been told that, although Plusnet will not supply a phone line without broadband, it is possible to keep the phone service after changing to another broadband provider.
flannel

http://Moneysavingexpert.com is one serious consumer resource these days.. Thanks for your time Mr Biker.
------------
REF:  Yes, that is usually the case. I'd advise having a word with our customer options team though..
I've passed the Q to them for an answer ( I see they shut at 1700 so will post here later).
flannel

Quote from: alanf
In the past we have been told that, although Plusnet will not supply a phone line without broadband, it is possible to keep the phone service after changing to another broadband provider.

Thanks for that (I was going to call you Mr F .. but for the avoidance of misconstrual, maybe not  Smiley ). Do you happen to have reference to where someone was told this applied to them?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and beware of TT, they are likely to take your phone as well without asking you.
Not sure about LLU, if you can have the phone on a separate supplier
flannel

Having talked to their sales line, I share your  wariness of TT .
Their training seems directed at signup rather than answering questions.
Eg Q:'What model is  your "free" router?' ; A: 'er..'  ; Q : Ok, who makes it?  A: 'er, can I put you on hold? '
caveat emptor..
Still maybe their billing works correctly* these days after being done over by Ofcom recently.

*unlike some other Co's I could name..
HairyMcbiker
All Star

The majority of complaints against TT were for companies that they had taken over and not "consolidated" the billing. At least that was what I found when I look into it. I didn't move to them purely because the "Plus" package wasn't available here. (and 40Gb d/l is useless to me  :P)
Now my exchange is in the list to be upgraded to fibre (  Cheesy :D) next year ( :() I will probably move to BT then on the option 2 fibre package (assuming I can afford it  :-X).
Buy YMMV, some people have no problems with who ever they move to others seem to have continuous issues.  Cry
flannel

Quote from: Hairy
Now my exchange is in the list to be upgraded to fibre (  Cheesy :D) next year ( :() I will probably move to BT then on the option 2 fibre package (assuming I can afford it  :-X).

Market1 in BT's local shed , so we get paleo-BB. 
Hereabouts, "Fibre" is  more usually associated with lassooing livestock.  Crazy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

We were the same (a M2 exchange) no date for adsl2 but fibre just appeared last week in the new list  Grin
Good luck with who ever you find as your new provider.