Did you mean: 

Is this the worst migration ever? - Now changed to "This IS the worst ...."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Is this the worst migration ever? - Now changed to "This IS the worst ...."

Quote from: my53rdchoice
it's happened as I canceled my service with them

That is where it all started to go wrong. The way migrations are supposed to happen is that the gaining ISP initiates all the actions. The final part of the process is that the losing ISP is notified that they have lost the customer.
By you cancelling the service with them they have placed the cease on the service and that will have prevented PN placing the order.
Now all services are ceased, once BT's databases are up to date PN should be able to order it as a new installation.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: jelv
That is where it all started to go wrong.

Almost certainly not, he just gave them a months notice which is perfectly reasonable.  Wink
my53rdchoice
Grafter

hi,
updated my ticket with a day time land line number
I can't access my mobile during working hours for security reasons
Please call me to discuss progress
picbits
Rising Star

I really hope you get this sorted out (and soon !)
I've been with PN for nearly 4 months now and my service is on par with that I received from BE but obviously moving to FTTC my speeds are far superior.
I have no regrets moving to PN although I've seen various issues with other over the months I've been with them. I've also seen a lot of happy customers so hang on in there !
Dom
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: jelv
That is where it all started to go wrong.

Almost certainly not, he just gave them a months notice which is perfectly reasonable.  Wink

That's not correct. If he obtained a MAC the gaining ISP has to place an order and have it accepted by BTw within 30 days. Once that has happened there is no time limit for the migration to complete. For example if it's migrating to fibre it is dependent on engineer availability, a month's notice may not be sufficient.
If the migration was in the other direction Plusnet do not terminate the service automatically if the user has indicated they are changing supplier and has obtained a MAC. They wait until they receive the notice from BTw that the migration has completed and then close the account. Only if the user has indicated that they wish to totally cancel (which invokes the cessation charge) will Plusnet order a cease.
HPsauce
Pro

Jelv, you're misunderstanding. It didn't start to go wrong when or because he gave reasonable notice to his old ISP which is how your post read.  Cool
It presumably started to go wrong in the entrails of BT when "dealing with" the migration, and failing badly.  Cry
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The previous supplier ceased the service - that fact is not in dispute. Why did they do that if it wasn't because he cancelled the service with them?
If a migration has failed and the correct procedures are followed the service should remain unaffected with the old ISP.
my53rdchoice
Grafter

hi,
as the previous handler has said.
Once completed I feel that this is right service for me, at a price I am happy with and I see no reason why it won't be an excellent ongoing reliable service.
Plus, I am pretty much comitted to this transfer and to revert back or to someone else is not likely to speed up matters and is likely to just cause more issues as more people get involved.
That said, the level of stress I am suffering in relation to this is very high and increasing daily.  As such I feel that I am that it is not unreasonable of me to be feeling angry and disappointed whilst lashing out at the system and process which to an outsider seems utterly impotent.
It is frustrating and remarkable that living just 4 miles from the centre of the 3rd largest city in England that getting a phone engineer to complete what is at most an hours work is proving so difficult.
my53rdchoice
Grafter

Update
Excellent News and Other News
Phone
Cut off completely Sun 28th April, reconnected Wed 1 May
Excellent and constant updates from Plusnet over the last few days and I have not lost my number.  
Hussah
1 down 1 to go
Internet
Cut off Sun 28th April, I now have an expediated? 3rd fibre installation date of Fri 10th May which will leave me without internet for 11 complete days.  
This is a real bind as we use the internet for 99% of our radio/TV consumption, online gaming (own a minecraft server and other stuff), Skype, social media, personal website/blog, email and whatsapp so the kids are giving me a huge ammount of grief too.  This is apparently the earliest date Plusnet are able to obtain for me.
Assuming this is successful the total migration time will be 40 days from begining to end and I am so looking forward to the many years of steady and fast internet access that Plusnet will provide.
HPsauce
Pro

Hope all goes well from now on.
Is it too early for us to ask you for some "hints and tips" on how to avoid such a catastrophic mess?
I ask because, being a Be/Sky customer (thankfully with a BT phone line) I can now see fibre cabinets sprouting around me - one at the end of my road is "under construction".
No date published for my exchange yet, but hopefully not too long.  Lips_are_sealed
Peeej
Dabbler

I had similar problems m igrating from Be its all because of thier landline service. BE were very helpful and I managed to extend the cut off date until after PN were due to take it over.
PN were not very useful and simply blamed Be. Be on the other hand tried thier best to resolve the issues.
Both insisted that the other was 'doing it all wrong'
my53rdchoice
Grafter

@Peeej, yup similar blame game going on with me.
Frankly I just wished that people did less finger pointing and more problem solving.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm really not sure you think Plusnet would be able to stop Be putting a cease on the service!
HPsauce
Pro

Jelv, I'm sure you rushing to the defence of PN is commendable, but I think this has moved on.  Wink
I think it's clear that the OP and the other Be migraters (past, in transit and future) commenting here are looking for a responsible, adult and constructive involvement and response from all involved and to learn some lessons, not:
 Grin
For starters I'm sure the relevant people in Be and PN could have spoken directly, or in a 3-way call with the OP to ensure things went more smoothly.  Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm not setting out to defend Plusnet, just stating the facts. The procedure is clear, the gaining provider requests that the service is moved across, the losing provider is notified about the request and can I believe block it (in case it's slamming). The service moves across and the losing provider is notified of the completion. Nowhere in the procedure defined by OFCOM should the losing provider place a cease on the line. Blaming Plusnet or expecting them to do more is not constructive.
I'd be very surprised if Plusnet have not formally complained to OFCOM that Be are not following correct procedures - that's about the limit of what they can do.
Anybody affected should also complain to OFCOM in the hope that for once they might get off their backsides and do something useful!