cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there more than 1 type of 'Call Return'?

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Is there more than 1 type of 'Call Return'?

My account details show that "1471 Call Return" is included free of charge.
I've recently been charged 10p and it's shown as "Call Return". Are there different types of such calls some of which are chargeable?
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is there more than 1 type of 'Call Return'?

I believe the charge is where you use  1471 to dial the missed call however there have been a worrying number of complaints (not Plusnet) where it has been charged even though they claim they didn't use that feature
longedge
Aspiring Pro

I've copied and pasted -
--------------------------------
from my - Account Summary
Call features
Free: 141, 1471, 1471 call return, 1471 call erasure
from - recent calls list
callreturn 23/10/2012 20:18:51 00:00:00 £0.10
another entry on same list -
callreturn 29/08/2012 15:36:43 00:00:00 £0.00
So I don't understand if the two calls were different in some way. As far as I know they were both dialled as 1471 and then 3?Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the 10p charge for the 1471 return call is correct. The feature is included with 1471 but as stated in the call features guide
https://portal.plus.net/support/phone/call_features.shtml
(see attached screen snip), using the facility costs 10p + charges appropriate to the call.
Using a separate ring back feature for when you call an engaged number also costs 10p per use but that is a different feature.
David
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Could be that it was a "Ring Back" and not a "Call Return" in which case it would be chargeable (I was away on hols when the call was made).
As I said 1471 Call Return is clearly shown as a free item on my account summary and they have not been charged in the past.
Is the same wording i.e. "Call Return" used for both "Ring Back" and "1471 Call Return" calls perhaps?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ring Back is where you press 5 if the number is engaged, as detailed further down on the page that spraxyt has linked. IF it was this feature used it should say so, and not say 'callreturn' on your bill.
Call Return is when you press 3 after dialling 1471. The announcement does say there may be a charge for the service! Maybe you were perhaps lucky that you weren't charge previously as it has always been in the Price List under Fixed Fee Charge Calls. That said, the cost is supposed to be going up to 15p from the 18th November, but that is not reflected in the Call Features Guide.
However,
1) I have had a ticket running (and it's predecessors) for over 2 years about various anomalies between the Price lists, FAQs, Call Features Guide and Legal pages and I first started querying some of these shortly after price changes in May 2009, that's now over 3 years!!
2) You make a good point about what it says in your Account Summary, as indeed it does in mine. You should therefore get a Refund of that charge, and I should also point out the change to Section 3 of the Call Features Guide is a recent one, but there is still no change to Section 2 to reflect this, one of the points in my ticket. I'm also going to go and check if the Account Summary issue was one I also pointed out a while back, but don't recall if it was in a recent review of the issues.
I am far from pleased with Plusnet about this as | don't know who the original task ID was allocated to, but there is clearly a high degree of incompetence in the previous handling of the ticket(s), and still most of the other corrections have still not been carried out despite the fact it was over a month ago if not two, since they were last reviewed by Ben Trimble who has presumably allocated tasks to whoever to make the corrections.
It seems that Plusnet thinks it can advertise one thing and charge something else and make excuses for this in the Ts&Cs which still has errors and allow this to continue for over 3 years.
Well Plusnet I have run out of patience. When I have time at my earliest opportunity, if by then those corrections are not made, I will be referring the whole issue to Trading Standards, the ASA and OFCOM.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all, we did correct an issue a couple of months ago where some customers were not being charged for call return. Just to confirm - you are only charged when you press 3 to return the call.
@Anotherone
As per the most recent update on your ticket, every one of your concerns has been raised to the relevant people. As best as I can remember when I raised all of the tasks, we never tell a customer that they are being charged less than they are actually charged. As such, these changes haven't been allocated a high priority. However, I am now the Team Leader in the area that looks after the validation of published tariffs and so we have a greater focus on this than before. For instance - the delayed price increases will be validated by me before any customers are charged on the new tariffs. Whilst we can never promise to foresee every eventuality, we are putting a stringent test plan in place to make sure that we charge what we intend to charge, which should always be accurately conveyed to the customer through the website. I'm more than happy to pick up any further concerns that you have - please just update your ticket.
Anotherone
Champion

I will do Ben, thanks.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Ben
we did correct an issue a couple of months ago where some customers were not being charged for call return. Just to confirm - you are only charged when you press 3 to return the call

OK, I accept that there is a charge when using the facility but the question then remains, why does my account summary say that it is included free of charge if it isn't?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@longedge
Please let me know where it says it's free and I'll look into it. I expect you're looking at a page where it lists dialing 1471 as free, which it is - the stated price does not cover returning the call. However, I know this is far from ideal and have already raised a request to have the charges made clearer.
Anotherone
Champion

No, it's quite clear Ben, in the Account Summary tab in the Home Phone Control Panel in the Call Features box, as he mentioned in reply #2 and I confirmed the same in my comment
Quote from: longedge
I've copied and pasted -
from my - Account Summary
Call features
Free: 141, 1471, 1471 call return, 1471 call erasure
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Although clicking on call Features Guide takes you to here https://portal.plus.net/support/phone/call_features.shtml where the 10p charge is explained.
So I suppose it is meant to mean that they don't change a monthly fee for it
Anotherone
Champion

But that is not what is says in the Account Summary, nor is there a monthly feature for Call Return anyway.
Your link is the page (para.3) mentioned in reply #3, and is the same page I commented on in point 2) reply #5.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for flagging this, we don't see that panel when viewing accounts internally so I'm sorry we missed it. I've raised task 377734 to have the text modified.
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Ben
@longedge
Please let me know where it says it's free and I'll look into it.

As Anotherone has already pointed out I copied and pasted directly from my account summary where it says quite clearly that 1471 call return is free - I'm not really fussed about 10p although I woudn't mind if a lorry load of them got tipped on my drive  Smiley
It is confusing and the account summary should be accurate and reliable.