cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my number spoofed?

JohnRB
Hooked

Is my number spoofed?

I have lately started getting landline calls from people saying they are returning a call from me which shows up to them as a missed call. I have not phoned these people. Do I need to worry about this (apart from the annoyance to me and the callers)?

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Is my number spoofed?

@JohnRB In a word - no. Obviously, some rogue organisation, probably based way overseas, has used your landline number as a cover for their true one, to make it appear to be coming from the UK.

Usually when they do this, they pick unallocated or 'impossible' ones, but very occasionally use an allocated number. They don't usually make that many calls from one number, and this annoyance should disappear within a week or so.

John
JohnRB
Hooked

Thank you, jab. It sounds as if I won't be getting huge bill for numbers I have never called?

jab1
Legend

No you certainly won't - they weren't made from your phone.

John
michael9974
Dabbler

Strangely we're getting the same today. I spoke to one of the callers who said he'd had an automated voice claiming to be HMRC suggesting he press 1 etc, so I guess the people running the fake HMRC call scam have chosen our number to spoof. I understood they usually chose numbers that are not in use; let's hope this isn't the start of a trend in using Plusnet subscriber numbers.

jab1
Legend

@michael9974 It really doesn't matter which CP you are with - these individuals don't target anyone, they just pick a number.

John
Beefkr10z
Hooked

I've started having the same issue. Three people have called me up this week, insisting that I called them, and they are returning my call. A couple of them were quite irate. Looks like Plusnet may have had a list of numbers compromised? Either way, it's damn annoying to get stroppy phone calls at 11pm from a bunch of strangers.
michael9974
Dabbler

If it's any consolation ours have gone from probably a dozen a day to one every two or three days, so I guess the scammers change their CLI fairly frequently.